Freeze Sound Retainer review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Freeze Sound Retainer

Purchased from: Online EHX Dealer

The EHX Freeze is a true bypass pedal and I want to state first of all that when engaged or when bypassed I can hear no effect on my tone whatsoever. What this pedal does is simple, it sustains whatever note or chord, whatever sound your guitar is making, when you hit the pedal and it sustains until you disengage it. During this time it frees up your hands to play anything else along with the sustained notes/chords. Some of the first things I thought to do with the EHX Freeze showed me just how valuable and unique this pedal is. You can play the root of a scale, then sustain it and play the different degrees of the scale in order to train your ears to recognize the intervals. You can play a chord and sustain it then solo over it, when the next chord change comes you play and sustain the next chord and then go back to soloing. You can create a drone using the pedal that lasts as long as you want and freeing up your hands and strings to play whatever you want over it. Something else I have done with the EHX Freeze, and that I plan to spend more time with is messing around with weird chord voicings. Basically, you can play chords that previously were impossible due to the number of fingers on your hand or simple physics. You can play part of the chord, sustain it, and then move your fingers where they need to be to play the second part. Unfortunately, this use isn't something you can really use in a live environment but I thought it was worth mentioning. I have a friend who plays and records his own samples for his synthesizer and I told him about this pedal and this usage, as this would be valuable to record some odd voicings in order to sample them.

To be honest, I really bought this pedal out of curiosity after watching a few demos of the pedal on the EHX website. I normally play overdriven blues or thrash metal depending on my mood. I also play a lot of covers around my house, and really just play guitar for the sake of music in general. This pedal wouldn't necessarily fit one specific genre over another, unless your music is really heavy with drones, and if so then this pedal will probably change your life. If you are in a three piece band then this pedal would be valuable for sustaining chords while you solo, and just help in general in filling the sonic space. For a solo performer this pedal would be valuable for the same reasons. For someone who gives lessons or is trying to learn intervals or odd scales, then this pedal would be valuable for the learning process. There may be an effect like the EHX Freeze Sound Retainer on the market somewhere, but I'm not familiar with it. As far as I can tell this is the only pedal of its kind. What it does is both unique and useful. If you put some effects in the signal before this pedal, such as a ring modulator, different envelope filters or a Wah pedal you can get some really gnarly otherworldly sounds out of this pedal. I have noticed that it takes a little time to get used to using it, and after getting used to it I've found myself using drones much more in my music. If this pedal were lost or stolen then I would replace it as it has slowly become one of my favorite effects to play around with. I have also found myself messing around with memorizing more scales and using the pedal as I do this to also memorize the intervals in the scale. Personally, I think the EHX Freeze is great no matter what genre you play or your skill level. I love this little pedal.

The EHX Freeze is a small simply made pedal with a metal enclosure. There isn't a lot to go wrong. If I had any concern about the durability at all it would be the button is a little different than a normal pedal, as it works with two phases, an engage/disengage by clicking it, and the engaging of effects with the partial depression of the button. While I am pointing the button out as the weakest part of the exterior engineering of the pedal, I do not think it is especially fragile, and I think if I dropped the pedal or even maybe threw it against the ground that it would still be functional. I trust this pedal to be functional and in good working order for years to come. If not, the pedal does come with a one year warranty.

The EHX Freeze is a nano' pedal released by Electro-Harmonix, which means that this pedal is very small being approximately 2 inches wide and 4 inches long in a stout metal enclosure. There is one button, one switch an LED light and one knob. The knob labeled Effect Level' just controls the volume of the sustained note or chord. The switch has three settings Fast', 'Slow' and Latch'. The button is a little different than a normal stompbox button as you can depress the button partway while the switch is set to Fast' or Slow' in order to sustain the note as long as the button is depressed, or you can click the button on Latch' mode and the note stays sustained until you click the button again. This pedal will not run off of a 9 volt battery, but instead comes with an AC adapter included. Your existing pedalboard power supply should also work. The only trick in the use of the pedal is the fade out speed, which is signified by the Fast' and Slow' settings on the pedal. The Fast' setting will cause the note to fade out pretty much immediately, but the fade in and fade out Slow' setting can be changed by a process of holding down the footswitch while you plug in the power jack, then the LED will blink and you move the switch to your preferred setting for the Slow' fade out. Set on Fast' in this mode sets the fade in at 200 milliseconds and the fade out at 400 milliseconds. Set on Slow' in this mode sets the fade in at 200 milliseconds and the fade out at 1 second. Set on Latch' in this mode sets the fade in at 800 milliseconds and the fade out at 3.2 seconds. After doing this, you release the footswitch and your settings will stay until you repeat the process to change it again. There is a manual in the form of a 5" x 8" card folded in the box with the pedal that explains the features and how to set up the fade in/fade out speed for the Slow' setting. The only other thing to consider is setting the Effect Level' control at where you want, because I found that I have had to be careful to have the knob set where it needs to be so that the sustained note is not overwhelming or underwhelming. If you are using it as a drone you want it set slightly below the normal volume of your guitar. If you are using it to sustain chords to solo over, then you might want to set it almost at the normal level or your guitar signal, or tweak it until it is the same level as your guitar signal.

sim_1113
    ^ thank god because I was looking for some hollister shirts and tiffany bangles but ended up on this damn guitar website for some reason...
    EpiExplorer
    LULZ, the embedded video, oh the cheese.. I quite like the idea of the pedal, very good for solo acts who use only one instrument and rely on atmosphere. As for the embed thing, can any reviewer do it? I'm thinking of giving it a go.
    stubbles
    smellslikefish wrote: I HOPE YOU BROUGHT YOUR JACKET
    Oh, my god this.
    Tigershark2112
    Suckerpunchme!
    Here is a MUCH BETTER overview of what this effect can do, and CharlyV is a great guitar player as well.
    g-user&context=G21530cbUCGXQYbcTJ33a9J7RWbDTOQWgB8DW5pPCw-Yv vHGJlWMk
    ryandevison
    Tigershark2112 wrote: Is this pedal similar to the one Alex Lifeson uses for the last note of the solo to Limelight, that lasts like 20 seconds after the solo is over? Cos I love that effect.
    Lifeson uses a digital delay. once he hits the last note in the solo, he engages the delay for a long repeat time.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    So this would be good for theres no home for you here by the white stripes? Does anyone know what i mean is this the pedal?