Holy Stain review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Holy Stain

Purchased from: ebay

I use this pedal with a few different Ibanez guitars, my other pedals, and a Peavey Windsor. The only complaint I have on the sound is the popping sound that I get when I change the color and dirt knobs with the effect turned on. However, since I got mine used I'm not sure if this is the case on all the pedals. The fuzz on the Holy Stain isn't terrible, but it's not great. This goes for the phase shifter as well. It leaves a lot to be desired. The rest of the effects sound great though... the reverbs especially. They sound similar, if not identical to the Holy Grail (I think that was the idea, right? )

I play rock and metal and this pedal works great for me. I would say that the reverbs get the most use from me, followed by the tremolo. I have a Guyatone Vintage tremolo pedal also, so this provides me a different sounding tremolo option. I already mentioned the popping sounds, and my dislike of the phase shifter sound, but other than that this pedal sounds great. The reverb is definitely my favorite feature, and it's the main reason I bought this pedal. I figured that I could also have a tremolo, phase shifter, and fuzz sounds as well with this pedal.

I've only had this pedal for a few months so I haven't had the oportunity to use it Live. However, I've owned many Electro-Harmonix pedals in the past and they're all built like tanks and none have ever failed me. I would definitely use this on a gig without a backup, especially since none of the effects it has are an absolute necessity for me.

The Holy Stain by Electro-Harmonix is a multi-effect pedal that gives you two kinds of reverb, a pitch shifter, and a tremolo. Fairly simple pedal to use, has a bypass Switch to turn the effect on/off, and a mode Switch to navigate between the four effects. Other controls include a mix, amount, volume, tone, color, and dirt knobs. The color knob allows you to Switch from 'bright' to 'dark' to 'warm' and the dirt knob allows you to change between 'clean', 'fuzz', and 'Drive'. I got mine used so it didn't come with a manual. Most people should be able to figure this pedal out in a matter of minutes without a manual.