Knockout Attack Equalizer review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Knockout Attack Equalizer

Price paid: £ 39.99

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

This is an awesome sounding pedal! It's perfect for boosting the signal during a solo or for nice fat meaty chords during the rest of the song. I mainly use it with the low and dry on full and the high setting at 0 with distortion for that fat 'System Of A Down' tone. You can get a telecaster sound by rainng the high, and cutting down the low, this works really well. I use a Squier Strat with a Seymour Duncan JB jr humbucker in the bridge, A Marshall MG15DFX and a Behringer OD100. There is hardly any noise from the pedals at all. One bad point is that if you turn the high and low up to the max, the tone gets very brittle, so you have to tweak a bit to get a very good tone.

I mainly play metal, punk and reggae, and this pedal suites most of these genres. If this were stolen, I'd get a new one in an instant, or hunt down the person who stole it and steal it back! I love the simplicity, the reliability, the heavy or country like tones and the art on the top, people look at my feet and go 'wow'. It looks crazy! My only rant is the brittle tone you get if you bump up the high too much. Other than that, it's a perfectly usable EQ pedal!

This pedal is made out of die cast metal! I bet it will withstand being nuked a couple of times! It is made of solid metal, the control knobs have no chance of coming off, the footswitch is very sturdy and the LED is firmly in place. This thing is built like a rock, I would use it at a gig without a backup. One problem is that it is quite power thirsty (maybe because I keep using it all the time) so take out the input jack when not using it because that drains battery power. There is a 9V mains input to solve that problem. This pedal never cuts out, never stops working, it is reliable!

This pedal has only three controls- Low, Dry and High. The controls are quite large to allow ease of use during busy gigs. It is quite easy to get a good sound out of it- there's no fiddling with tiny EQ sliders anymore to confuse people, if you want more low end, turn the low button up. Quite simple. There's a Status LED to tell you how much battery is left. There is also a 9V power imput if you use a pedalboard. There's only one problem, if you own a pedalboard and you want to save space, this pedal might take up a bit of room. It's about twice as big as the XO series, so if you fuss over space, maybe get a Boss Equaliser.

rokket2005
    I got one of these about a month ago to try to get my strat into tele territory, and it does what it's supposed to, but doesn't quite get the same twang I was looking for.
    lorrythebassguy
    Ive been hearing good things about this pedal so i might have to get one.. especially as it for both guitar and bass!
    Ackj
    acdc_rocks_1992
    i have the Metal Muff and i have to say its amazing it perfect haha i dont even play metal and i still love it
    Kegan
    higherworlds wrote: this company doesnt make a bad pedal
    ever heard of the Dr Q?
    OhMyGosh123
    Kegan wrote: higherworlds wrote: this company doesnt make a bad pedal ever heard of the Dr Q?
    It's funny you say that because I actually really like that pedal.
    unlearn27
    Ackj wrote: It sounds like a nice pedal, though I'd like to try the tones with my own gear. Squire + MG + Behringer arent really the best to basis for a tonal report.
    Haha, exactly. Q-Tron's are GREAT pedals, the Big-Muff is meh.