Little Big Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Little Big Muff

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

This pedal is meant for one tone, which is your classic Big Muff fuzz/dist. I use it with a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow (mahogany body, two humbuckers) in front of a Vox AC15. Turn the tone down for a bassy, thumpin' fuzz, or crank it up for a harsher, spitting fuzz/dist. tone. Great rhythm fuzz tone with the tone at somewhere around noon and the Sustain knob at about 3 'o clock. You'll get a very sweet lead fuzz tone with the Sustain knob cranked and the tone a bit past noon. This pedal does have a bit of noise, but it doesn't affect the sound, and it's not even noticeable unless you're looking for it. I got this pedal for a balls-to-the-wall fuzz/dirt tone that works for all sorts of things. The Big Muff just screams attitude, and for that reason it works in any situation that calls for rock n' roll, from classic rock, to hardcore. The Big Muff has a classic tone that will add to your arsenal, and it will add to any harder genre of music. I use this with a Fender MIM J bass for a sweet bass fuzz tone too. It works great for bass, but you have to turn back the tone knob to get more low-end. It's super sweet for bass, and in my opinion it works just as well as a bass fuzz as it does as a guitar fuzz.

Overall, I'm impressed with this pedal. It's just got this tone that screams at you. It's full of attitude, so it'll do it in any harder genre of music. I use the Little Big Muff for classic rock, to hard rock, to Indie, to hardcore. It fits in really well in just about any form of rock. My first Little Big Muff was stolen, so I've actually already replaced it. I'm on my second one, and glad that I bought it. I compared this to the fullsize Big Muff Pi, but really, they sound the same. Honestly. I needed the smaller enclosure of the Little Big Muff, which is why I bought the Little Big Muff, but I would buy the Big Muff Pi just for the added voodoo of the huge enclosure and the mega-sized knobs.

The Little Big Muff is in a die-cast enclosure, and it's tough as nails. I've beaten the crap out of mine, and it's still running just as well the day I got it. I've actually spilled a whole can of Orange Fanta on it (yum) and it survived, miraculously. I would gig with this pedal without a backup for sure.

This pedal is pretty basic, with three knobs: Volume, Tone, and Sustain (gain/drive/fuzz). Big Muff's are finicky pedals, and you have to have a tone in mind when you sit down with it, or chances are you'll come out a funky tone you weren't aiming for. The tone knob is very important to what fuzz or dist. tone you get. The main to keep in mind with any Big Muff is that it's a bassy, kind've muddy, raunchy fuzz/dist. You'll need get a refined, bright OD, or normal dist. tone out of it. The Big Muff only makes Big Muff tones. For this pedal, I only mess with one knob most of the time, the tone knob. I keep the Sustain knob maxed, or nearly there, but I mess with the tone knob to shape the tone of the fuzz I want. Turn it back for a mega thick bassy fuzz, or turn it up for a sharp, biting fuzz.

xorg3
    rancidryan wrote: whats the difference between this and the bigmuff?
    the wiring is in a smaller case, making it more portable. that's the only real differince
    nirvanapwns
    Lopez72 wrote: whats the difference between fuzz and overdrive? if i want an AC/DC or Led Zeppelin sound, should i get this?
    for AC/DC more of an OD but i think angus and malcom used hot tube amps but yeah OD so the sound is clean enough to hear every note clearly also for some led zep stuff but i think jimmy used a fuzz every now and then for some songs don't know for sure though