Little Big Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Little Big Muff

Purchased from: Local music store

Currently I'm using an Ibanez ICT700 through this pedal into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This pedal really is mind-blowing in its sonic options. Turn the Sustain knob back and the Tone Knob full up and you've got a crunchy yet held-back Overdrive sound. Put both at twelve o'clock and there's your neat and regular fuzz tones: thick and creamy and biting, all at the same time. Then turn both knobs full up to experience wild and crazy distorted tones, perfect for White Stripes rhythm or Wolfmother rock. There are a hell of a lot of sounds in this pedal, and you really need to experiment with all three knobs and your guitar's volume pot to unlock the potential of this beast. No question about it, this gets a 10 from me.

Overall, the Little Big Muff is the ultimate distortion pedal, being versatile and straightforward at the same time. I also have a DigiTech Hardwire TL-2 for my searing metal tones, but the LBM is perfect for any style of music, which is handy seeing as I play a large variety of music, from jazz to garage-rock. I've been playing for three-and-a-bit years now, and this pedal is a revelation: its tonal wackiness is a great inspiration to my composing. If it were stolen or lost, I would be very annoyed, and do my very best to get it back. I was going to get the Zvex Fuzz Factory or the EHX Graphic Fuzz, but I saw the LBM in my local music store's sale, so I got it. I wish it had a graphic EQ or something for even more tweaking, but then that's what the Graphic Fuzz pedal is for, right? Anyway, the Little Big Muff is a truly great pedal. I urge anyone who's even remotely interested in overdriven or distorted tones to check this thing out. For the price, it's wonderful.

Here's where I'm not sure: the build quality is excellent, without a doubt. A rugged die-cast metal chassis and a sturdy footswitch tell me that this is a pedal that's meant for action every night, and it won't let me down. However, the pedal does seem a little too light to me. Great for transporting to gigs and stuff, but I actually like a bit of meat on my pedals. Thinking about it, that's sort of the point of the Little Big Muff: Big Muff sounds without the impracticality. Still, it gets a 9 in this category.

This pedal is the Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff. It's basically the same pedal as the original Big Muff, but in a small light case, along with true bypass and a 9V power input. There's just three knobs on this pedal, and they are Volume, Tone and Sustain. Believe me when I say this, it's a really easy pedal to just plug in and use, but there's some pretty deep sonic options available. The manual is pretty basic, but really all you need to do is link this pedal up and start rocking! As this is a very easy to use pedal, it gets a 10 in this category.

Pieboy79
    Draugoth wrote: It's a great pedal for the cost, the common suggestion though, because it does not seem to give alot of treble, is to run an overdrive pedal through it. It wrks pretty well, just need to fumble with the knobs to get the right tone settng.
    I'll second that ! I run a Boss SD1 before the Muff in my chain and it improves the harmonic response no end, palm mutes and harmonics rally stand out. I guess any OD pedal would have the same effect, I love this pedal.....show it a valve amp and play around and many many tone jump out at you. I've just jumped from Line 6 to Peavey valve and am NEVER going back to digital again, ANALOGUE RULES THE TONE WORLD !!!
    FRACTUREDx2
    Lopez72 wrote: whats the difference between fuzz and overdrive? if i want an AC/DC or Led Zeppelin sound, should i get this?
    AC/DC sound you would want a really driven marshall type sound (good pedal for that is the Fulltone OCD) Led Zeppelin is more light overdrive with a slap-back delay. neither are really big on fuzz...
    Teen Spirit
    just got one of these... amazing, you can really get any tone out of this. it lacks a bit of treble, but my pickups and guitar tone makes up for it... great pedal, unbeatable for this price, for anyone reading this, i strongly suggest you at least try one out... like, right now.