Little Big Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Little Big Muff

Purchased from: JB Music

Its easy, you do not actually need a manual for this. There are 3 knobs on it, how simpler can it get? The VOLUME knob adjusts the level of the effect. The TONE knob allows you to fine tune, whether you like it thick sounding or have sort of a scooped mid sound. The SUSTAIN knob adjusts how much gain you want. I won't be recommending this to metal heads, but for guitarists that aren't boxed in a specific genre like myself, looking for a versatile dirt pedal, this should be on that board. This one's my go-to-pedal!

This is the pedal in a smaller package, that has that classic HUGE tone! I play all sorts of music but this has been my go to pedal for the "lighter" tone that needs little to moderate dirt. The pedal suits my rhythm playing for an alternative/classic rock/blues-rock tone when I am on the bridge pick up. The thick creamy tone sounds incredible on the neck pick up of my guitars (Epiphone G-310/Epiphone G-400 Pro)when I do my guitar solos. With the pedal cranked up of course there will be humming all over the place(nothing a good old noise gate can't do). This pedal is the 4th out of the chain of 11 pedals I have on my rig. It is perfect for classic '70s rock riffs that we all have grown to love (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc.) I also this when my band plays '90s covers (Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Offspring, Live, Silverchair, Gin Blossoms, Creed and all that stuff) and it does the job well. Its been on my rig for a little over two years and I don't see myself replacing it til it suddenly retires on its own.

Its been on my rig for at least two years and its been used/abused in all of my gigs, as well as a daily use of at least an hour at home. I have another dirt pedal on my rig which is a Digitech Death Metal which can be considered a 'back up', but there are songs in our playlist that sounds perfect with the Muff. It is made of sturdy metal and I don't see it breaking even if I put my whole weight to it (I'm Asian so I am no big dude). The pedal is slowly losing its finish but that happens to every guitar effects pedal on the planet, most especially with regular use.

My band's focus is mainly writing original material, but my influences as a guitarist cover almost all sub genres of rock because I don't want to be tagged "one dimensional." I do a little bit of everything (from bluesy licks of SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer, classic rock riffing from the '70s, some Dimebag and Hammett licks thanks to Andy James! Funk rock riffing of Morello and Frusciante. Some psychedelic effects from Einziger and Lopez, jamming to '90s anthems, and even some pop tunes of Mars and Mraz from time to time). I'll probably sell my Digitech Death Metal if this gets stolen and score a EHX Metal Muff. This pedal is fit for Low to Mid gain stuff, coupled with an EQ pedal it could probably handle metal, but as a stand alone dirt, it is perfect for Alt-Classic Rock-Punk-Hard Rock. The classic look and simplistic approach add to its overall appeal.

Kailashanand
    I have it, sound is very powerful, but for lead too much noisy --not good for shredding and for rhytm too muddy, its all messed up ! Still as said the tone is very good, that vintage mojo sound...so rescue comes to use it for example with boss sd-1 ...then magic happens, no end to possibilites from old rock to death and thrash metal, and all kind of leads !! So with sd-1 its amazing !!! Boss Sd-1 gives it all kind of sounds possible, they are like magic team )