Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: dawsons

This is what I have so far on this pedal. I just got home with one this afternoon & I am digging this pedal, it's not the same sound as my Muff into Ibanez WH10 wah combination, but it is better than my Muff by itself, it has way more distortion, even at the lowest setting, it has more distortion available than my original Muff. I wish I could dial it down more because I like the sound of the amp overdriven a bit, along with the Muff, the way I have it set up with my Muff wah combo is, I have the distortion down almost all the way, & I run the amp hot, this gives me a more natural response with overtones & dynamics as opposed to running the amp cleaner & running the muff set at a higher distortion level. When doing it this way with the Metal Muff, I have to have the distortion level on the pedal all the way down, & I still get a lot of distortion, almost too much, that's why I'd like to be able to set the distortion lower if I could as I rarely play an amp that is set clean, I get the cleans that I like by turning down the volume on my guitar a bit, but with an amp that is working the power stage some. Now if I were to use a 2 amp set up & run a clean amp as well, I'm shure this pedal will Shine, because when I tried it out at the store, it was plugged into an 800 Marshall & it was set clean, the Metal muff sounded pretty wicked into that amp, with lots of definition, like my Muff WH10 wah combo run into an overdriven power stage. The EQ on this pedal is kind of funky, each of the controls effect the sound in a different way when the other controls are set differently so there are almost unlimited tonal options with this pedal & some tweaks are quite usable & some are not, but it would be up to the player to decide which is or isn't with his or her own set up. The treble boost doesn't work by itself, you have to have the Muff on for it to work & I didn't like it much, you couldn't get much boost out of it with the treble set low enough to sound decent, at least with my amp it didn't sound good to me. It would've been nice if you could set a boost with the treble circuit bypassed or with a more mid boost instead, & also have the option to use the boost by itself if you wanted. I'm sure there will be pedal gurus that will offer up mods to do such things including the ability to lower the distortion a bit more because it is a very sweet thick type of Drive that can sound real cool when used as an overdriver as opposed to being a distortion type of effect, especially with a strat type guitar.

I give this pedal a thumbs up for it's thick molten tone with a strat, it's unreal how wicked this pedal makes single coils sound if dialed in properly, but at the cost of some noise due to the hum of the singlecoils & the overdriven power amp stage. I get by with a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor to control that issue with my Muff WH10 combo to good effect & the same goes with the Metal Muff. I didn't use humbuckers with this pedal yet, but I'm guessing with the EQ on this pedal you could dial in a wicked metal tone with humbuckers as well.

Built pretty solid all metal casing I don't see it being a problem and I've heard tha the new ehx customer care is excelent so I don't see any problems arising. Having said that the Boss Metal Zone is built slighty better, but that's the only thing it is beter in.

This pedal needs to be tweaked like most pedals to get the best sounds you can out of the perticular rig that it's plugged into. I bought this pedal to see if I could use it as a backup to my '70s Big Muff & Ibanez WH10 wah combination, I get Monster Molten tone with those pedals together into an overdriven amp, this Metal Muff can hold it's own against it, even run into a cleaner amp with some serious definition & gain on tap. It's also a lot quieter if run into a cleaner sounding amp.

stonedkirby
    got it , and before you pay 100 bucks if your at guitar center try ot bargain the price , i got 20 bucks right off mines , coming to 80$ **** boss distortion pedals get this baby! Crisp clear ,to Absolutely Crushing , this is all around versatility for the metal player who likes to play old , new , hardcore , whatever!
    De Amazing Blob
    I just found out about this pedal on the forums today, and from what I've heard so far I'm lovin it =) I'm hoping to go try it out soon and probably buy it.
    alexgmcm
    Could I play Death Metal on this? Or is the gain too weak? But I like to play stuff like Iron Maiden too so it'd help if it was versatile.