Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: Music store

I use it with a Jackson DK2T Dinky and a Peavey Valveking Royal 8, and it sounds great! The Peavey is far from metal level, which is my favourite style of music and the one I play the most, but this pedal brings it up there. I like bands like Slayer, Metallica, Pantera and more and I can easily sound like those with this pedal. It's pretty versatile. This pedal can get noisy at high volumes and gain I think, but it's nothing serious.

As the name suggests, this pedal is made for metal. I wanted a high gain pedal that could bring my Peavey to the max, and wow! This pedal is really good. It has biting distortion that can cover many different styles like metal, punk and other heavy styles. I've been playing for a year, but I know what I'm talking about. I didn't a few months ago though, when I bought a Line 6 Spider III. I tried it in the store, and I thought it would be a good upgrade from my starter pack amp. A while later I realised it was an upgrade, but I could have done much better. So I traded the Spider for a Peavey and bought this pedal along with it. I'm very happy I did this. I didn't try this product in the store because they didn't have it in stock and had to order it, and I had already paid for it so I took quite a risk, but nothing was wrong. It functioned properly and I loved it. I love it's crushing distortion and top boost function, which makes solos scream. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again, even though it's kind of expensive. My Peavey can't really handle metal without it.

This pedal seems to be very solid. I'm not in a band and I don't gig, but if I would I would definitely depend on it without a backup. It's tough on the outside and I don't think there could be any technical errors either. I've never heard of anyone having any, and I haven't had any myself. This is a well constructed pedal. The only problem is batteries, but that's something all pedals require.

It's pretty easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, but not for a total newb. It has the basic gain, mid, treble and bass controls as well as a top boost control, which gives and extra bite to your tone if you know how to use it. The manual gives some info on how to change batteries and controls and such, but no presets.