Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: Emerald City Guitars

I play an Epiphone Alleykat through a Fender Stage 160. The amp has a weak built in distortion so I bought this pedal to remedy that. I don't play metal but after comparing this thing against the Boss DS-1 Rat, and a few DigiTech pedals it proved to be more versatile than modeling pedals. I mostly play punk and dial down the bass and kick up the mids for a nice raunchy sound, top boost blows everyone away. I can also dial the distortion to zero and get a great Beatley distortion for my Beatles tribute band.

I am completely satisfied with my metal muff. No complaints what'soever, Such a loud powerful, versatile piece of equipment it is. Whether you use it for a smooth overdriven tone, a pure volume pedal, or insane black metal tones this thing will work. You will only want another so you can access 2 quick tones for it. No other need for a different pedal. Only thing I wish it had were multiple presets you could save, but I don't mind switching the knobs every once and a while.

My 6'4" 230 pound friend stomped this thing in a show and it survived, heavy thick metal casing seems to be indestructible. I would gig this without a backup within 20 miles even when every song needs Overdrive. I am more concerned about how durable my ear will be after playing with this thing for a few years.

When I first got this pedal I was tempted to turn every knob to ten and see just how far it could go, I blew out my practice amp. Luckily it was just a crappy 10 watt Ibanez. But once I stuck it in my Fender I started on a zero distortion, it's now easy to get anykind of tone from this, from creamy Overdrive to insanely loud crunch.

piratemetalhead
    It's an excellent pedal, but I keep hearing this sorta of drifting, filter-y noise. Any way to change the settings to get rid of that?
    gibsonjammer666
    over all good sound , but still can't get that good punching sound of anthrax or pantera ex. but good for bands like metalica and maiden so on.
    Psychoholic
    I'm looking for a Pantera kinda sound, and I can't find the right settings. Can somebody help me and point me in the right direction. I'm no good with effects