Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: Shop

I use this through a Marshall MG100 (Don't flame me, I actually quite like it). Set up, Jackson DK2M/Morley Power Wah/Metal Muff/MXR Dist+/Boss CS-3. It isn't that noisy but there is noise, but it's a distortion pedal for christ sake, get over it. Fact is, the more gain you use the noisier it gets. The distortion is great. Very versatile, you can get an '80s hair metal crunch to a Death Metal thumping sound. I don't use the top boost much but if you want more gain, the top boost will do the trick. I have my own sound and so don't want to replicate any other artists.

I play metal/hard rock/neo-classical and it serves me very well. I can get a Metallica sound to a Yngwie/Iron Maiden sound from this. I like a sound in between really and this can deliver it well. I've been playing almost 3 years and own a lot of gear really, I can't be arsed listing it though. If this was stolen I'd probably try and get another or get the thing back! I comapred this to the Boss MT-2 which I owned before which was terrible to be honest. This thing surpasses it in all fronts.

It's built like a brick really. Very sturdy and it's made of metal. EHX have always made great pedals and so I can certainly be ensured that this thing will last me a long long while. I would definately without question use this without a backup at a gig.

The pedal has 6 knobs on it. Volume, top boost, treble, mid, bass and distortion. You should know what they all do. Top boost is like distortion/treble, turn it up it adds even more, turn it down and it has no effect. It's hard to comment on the ease because everyone has there own sound and it'll always take you time to get the sound you want so I'm not commenting on that really. It is easy to work though, just like any pedal except this has a top boost for added 'filth'. It comes with a manual with some specs for the thing and safety stuff, the usual. No presets but only Boss really do that. It runs ona 9V adapter or a 9V battery (Square one). The reason it gets a 8 is because you have to unscrew the back to put a battery in which can be a pain in the ass, but I use an adapter anyway.

jonnyharris1
    ive had mine a year, bit i really dont like it, the sound just irritates me, can anyone reccomend any settings?
    Rokeman
    ^ i have the treble up to the max, scoop the mid just slightly, and have the bass on "3 o'clock" (my amp is trebelly though, so adjust bass how you want!)
    Rokeman
    oh and to add on, because it has such high gain it's hard to get rid of the excess hiss noise, so a noise filter is the only way to get rid of it i'd say. my friend's effects desk has a noise reducer and it really helped heaps with the metal muff!
    arowana1027
    I think it would be better to ask about settings in the forum,...just a suggestion. An awesome pedal though, tried one out at Sam Ash in Orlando, definately my next pedal purchase, along with a few other EH pedals.
    наppy наиds
    very versatile pedal. i can get something classic like Metallica and something new school like Killswitch Engage.
    axeman_scott88
    Yeah, it's really a good pedal. For versatillities sake, sometimes I'll use my big muff as a boost, and let me tell you, if you think the stock boost is insande, that will really bring down the house, but at the same time leave my tone intact, and actually still sound good. Yeah, a lot better than the boss metal zone, though that was a good pedal while i had it.
    BlackCross
    this pedal is amazing! the variety of tone is great. the sound is superb, great for metal. even METALLICA has one it cost me about 45.00 ($91.00)
    metallirock08
    This pedal isn't so heavy (The original muff). I tried it at a msucio store, also a Boss Metalcore, and the Metalcore was heavier than the muff. But the muff is still pretty good.
    AbstractDeth7X
    The best distortion pedal you are going to find is the Boss Metal Zone. I played with the metal muff a while back and I liked it, but the distortion didn't get as heavy as I had hoped. This certainly is not a problem with the MZ.