Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: The Music Store

This amp is screaming and wailing with tone that Burns people to a smoldering pile of soot. Yeah, it's that good. It is a little noisy when you use the top boost. The distortion is amazing and the boost is so-so. You can get Metallica, Pantera (especially w/ the top boost), Megadeth, and pretty much any one else's sound. The top boost is kinda noisy, but you honestly won't need it. Crazy tone, and crazy value.

I play heavy metal (the good ol' '80s stuff) and hard rock. This is a perfect match made in heaven. I play this with a Gibson Explorer and I usually use it with bass amps to get a MAJOR bass boost that rattles walls. I wish I had a noise suppressor so the top boost will be a little quieter. If it were stolen I would hunt down that person and shove a fire place poker in their head. I love the insane tone and their is nothing really bad about it at all. Nothing compares to this great pedal.

So dependable. I wouldn't need backup anytime. This thing is die-cast metal and is very sturdy. I honestly haven't had any problems at all. I would bring an extra battery, that is unless you use the adapter cable. I prefer using batteries for less ground noise. Put this pedal to the metal! This is built like a tank and has the power of one. Trust me, this thing is reliable and can be trusted like a brother. You can trust this thing with your purse.

This thing shreds! It is pretty easy to get really good tone that can burn people's face off. The only thing is, and I think this happens in most pedals, is that you have to turn your amp all the way down at first because this thing has so much gain, it makes your guitar loud! First time I plugged it in it was screaming melting tone. There is no manual, but this thing is a piece of cake to use. Mine is a newer one, but hasn't been modified or fixed in anyway. It doesn't even need any extra things. One thing that will probably help is to get a noise suppressor with it.

mikerockstar
    Okay... what I can't really figure out is... can this do MODERN metal? Huge respect to the bands that influenced it (Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, etc.)... but it seems that wherever I go trying to find info on this thing, people praise it but they all play Maiden and other 80's metal. I'm looking for something that can do Metalcore, Deathcore, Grind, and Heavy Rock. I'm talking about the more scooped and heavy-as-f*#& tones that you get from bands like Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, As Blood Runs Black, All Shall Perish, August Burns Red, Bloodjinn, Darkest Hour, Demon Hunter, It Dies Today... and other bands of a heavy rock variety such as Staind, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, Thousand Foot Krutch, Three Days Grace, etc. Can this pedal do THAT type of stuff?
    henza_x
    AbstractDeth7X wrote: The best distortion pedal you are going to find is the Boss Metal Zone. I played with the metal muff a while back and I liked it, but the distortion didn't get as heavy as I had hoped. This certainly is not a problem with the MZ.
    With ya 100%. It is not a great pedal its very.. blugh.. hyped up doesn't get heavy enough and when i turn it on full it becomes unclear like a horrible distortion. Roll it back and it doesnt do its job. The top boost is pretty useless. PLEASE, don't get it, its a UG favourite but it shouldnt be.