Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Price paid: A$ 260

Purchased from: Red Hot Music

Used with a Epi Les Paul standard, into a old Boss tube amp (LOVE IT! ) I was surprised by how metal it sounded! I've previously owned a Boss Mega distortion, which has very high gain, but it gives more of a sludgy, muddy distortion which is great for doom or Grunge and leads, but the Metal Muff gives that really crisp, sharp edged distortion of a 'metal' tone. Even on an amp that sounds muddy and bluesy, I squeezed a Pantera-esque tone out of the pedal almost straight away. It had a lot less feedback than my Boss pedal too, even on full blast. The top bost feature really cuts through like a blade. I was testing it out in the shop, and the guy Who works in the store was amazed at the amout of cutting power it had up high. If you need to be heard through the mix for a solo, it's a really useful feature. The only thing I noticed was when soloing up high with the top boost, it has an almost digital sound to it, like a (gasp) line6 tone. This may be the desired thing, I'm not sure, I'm just used to a more muddy, sludgy tone up high. No matter how low you set the distortion level, it's still strong, so I would recomend this pedal for anyone Who plays thrash, death, groove or other metal. It really makes riffs chainsaw through the speaker.

I mainly play blues or ultra crazy metal of all kinds, and anywhere in between. It definately lends itself more to the crazy side of metal. I figure that due to the currency conversion rate, it would be worth maybed 150-200 dollars but, but because of the price I paid ($260 Australian), I'm slightly annoyed at the price, and would probably get one off ebay if I had to buy another. Bottom line, it's perfect for sculpting all-out ball-tearing brutal metal tones.

Its Huge and made of something tough. It probably wouldn't be good to drop it, but if you did, it would most likely still work. It isn't the kind of fiddly little thing you would have to worry about failing during a performance. I would actually be perfect for gigs, as the top boast can be kicked on with your foot when you need to bust out your solo, you don't have to lean over your amp and start adjusting volume/tone (it happened to me during the solo for Cowboys From Hell a while ago before I got this pedal, I couldn't hear myself and screwed it up)It seems very reliable.

well if you know even a little bit about EQ'ing, you will be able to make a decent metal tone in a few minutes, with half an hour, it'll be near perfect. It's really simple to use, provided you know a little bit about tone. It didn't come with a 9v adapter (! ) but it had a battery in it. Basically, all you have to do to start enjoying some some delicious metal sounds it's turn it on and start tweaking the knobs.