Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: eBay

I am running this with a 100W modified Mesa Boogie DC-10 and an Ibanez S with EMG pickups. I run it through the clean channel, so the pedal is actually quieter than my lead channel w/o the pedal. I wouldn't use this pedal for anything other than metal. It doesn't like to sound nice. My only complaint is that there is a hint of "tinnynes" and the pedal sounds thinner than the lead channel on my amp, but this amp makes any Marshall sound weak. I am not a big fan of the top boost. It works fine, but I keep the knob at 30% max and use it sparingly.

I use this pedal specifically for playing on my big amp at quieter volumes, and only for metal. It really wakes up a tube amp that isn't cranked but I think that the amp alone sounds better when let off the leash. 100% recommended for "quiet" playing and small gigs.

100% dependable if you don't abuse it too much. The case is solid. The indicator lights are bright. The knobs seem well made. Haven't tried it on battery power. The only possible weakness is the buttons themselves. But they are replaceable. Stomp, but don't jump on the pedal from off of a stage monitor or something. Definitely reliable, so buy one used and save some cash.

With all of the knobs at the 12 o'clock, it actually sounds great. Tweaking from there is easy if you keep in mind that the EQ knobs are very sensitive. A little turn changes the sound quite a bit, so take it slow. This is a more complicated pedal than most with the word "Metal" in the name. With all of the EQ knobs at 12 o'clock, it works like a plain stompbox with just volume and distortion controls. Add in the sensitive EQ, and it's much more customizable.

cmacTR4Q
    I'm Canadian eh, so I was wonderin how much this was gunna cost me in canadian (eh), and if this thing is hard to find or not.
    cmacTR4Q
    what would you consider to be a better choice? Boss Metal Zone mt-2 or electro-harmonix metal muff?
    MUSICFIEND21
    the metal muff. i had the metal zone, hated it. i wasnt that i couldnt get a good sound out of it,it 2 me just dosent sound good, very tinny and small. more like a strat tone.i would also recommend the death metal pedal by digitech over this.
    MUSICFIEND21
    also the eq is relly werid at first.but if u play and justice for all.. era metallica then this is ur pedal.
    jamesy_pwd
    i have one myself, i think ill return, on the high strings (g,b,e) its very static-ky and doesnt ring out right and sounds terrible its not my amp nor guitar coz ive tried it on 3 diff guitars n 3 diff amps :[
    MUSICFIEND21
    OH SHIT i mean i would pick the death metal pedal over the mt-2. and that the mt-2 is for ...and justice for all man i gotta get a new keyboard
    Straddlin'
    cjb2293, what settings do you have your set to to acheive GnR's sound? I've been messing with mine for quite some time lookin for that warm, hollow sound, but I'm having not much luck...