Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Price paid: C$ 130

Purchased from: Kingston SoundWorks

Now if you bought this thing hoping that you can use the 3 band EQ on it to Jerry-rig it into being a Jack of all trades, you need to return it right now. Sure it's versatile in it's own right, you can get some hard rock sounds along with almost clean boost type sounds (with a little bite of course) but this thing is meant to be a METAL PEDAL. It does one thing very very well, and some other things but not as well. I personally have the thing EQ'ed with the treble at about 10 or 11 o'clock, the mids at 11 (If you boost the mids too much, the pedal get's a bit noisy and nasally) the Bass at 3 o'clock (Chugga Chugga!) and the distortion at 1 or 2. (There's no reason too really crank it. The thing is crazy high gain even at lower settings)I also have my amplifier EQ'ed at 11 o'clock for Bass, 10 or 11 for Mids, and about 2 or 3 o'clock for treble (I like it boosted a bit, helps round out the sound. If you can EQ it right, you can get most of the famous artist's sounds, such as Disturbed, Metallica, PanterA, Megadeth, Damageplan, Killswitch Engage, etc. This thing was made too recreate these sounds, so I'm sure it can simulate many more. But I encourage you too find your own sound, and not copy a famous artists.

I play metal. Metal metal metal. And this thing is a dream come true. I'm not the richest person in the world, so I can't waste thousands of dollars on Mesa Boogies and Marshalls and Randalls, (I can however waste my money on an Orange Rockerverb. Muahahaha!) but this thing more than makes up for it. If you can EQ it right, then you are golden. Even the top boost function isn't useless. A lOT of people think that it is, but it just has a specific purpose. It's purpose is to push your signal in front of the mix. You shouldn't use it for anything else. If you use it for regular playing, then your tone will suck because that's not what it's meant to do. Other than that, this thing is a welcome edition to any pedal board.

Just look at this thing...it's made of metal. you could run this thing over with a truck and keep playing it. I use it in gigs without a backup all of the time, so don't worry about it. but one crucially important note... Keep a fresh battery or an adapter in this thing at all times. This thing eats batteries, and if the battery is dying, then this thing will sound like it's dying too.

The EHX Metal Muff is a freakin beast... enough said. Getting a good sound out of this pedal is not hard in the slightest. Plugging it in usually does the trick. The user manual is a little scarce, (Try one sheet of toilet paper in pigeon english scarce) but let's be serious here, Who reads the manual anyway? You plug it in and fiddle with it until you get a good tone, and with this thing, it's not hard to do.

ricv2106
    Is this nice to just boost a tube amp while keeping the amps original tone? I love the tone of my amp but want more gain to boost my amp into at least old school metal level (this at a aceptable volume as i cant crank my amp too much).
    tristan_deity
    I own this pedal and my main complaint is that the top boost makes your guitar sound way to trebley.