Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

When I got this pedal I was looking for a good scooped sound that would also sound good when playing leads. I tried out the Boss MetalCore and that sounded great for rythem guitar because it had a good low-end, but my leads sounded like shit because of how bassy it was. I tried the Metalzone and that sounded too tinny. The Digitechs obviously sounded too digital. But When I tried the Metal Muff it sounded like my Fender Princeton turned into a Mesa Boogie instantly. And unlike the Boss pedals, it kept the origional tone of my SG. I like to play music from bands like Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, Smashing Pumkins, Alice in Chains, Blink 182, Green Day, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot, GNR, All That Remains, and I can get all of those settings that I want from this pedal. This is a VERY versatile pedal(unless you are playin like Led Zeppelin or the Beatles). You should just use your amps distortion if you are playing that. If you want a good Pantera sound, have treble all the way up, Bass 3/4, Mid 1/4, Gain 3/4. If you have gain all the way up it can get a little out of hand. If you want a punchy sound than just turn the distortion down and Bass to about half way and crank the mids. The top boost is very useful when you want Dimebag's solo tone. Just don't have top boost up too high because it can get really loud.

I love this pedal. It is perfect for The Music I play. When I first tried it I thought it would be too fuzzy because of the word Muff, but that isn't the case at all. If it were stolen I would definately buy it again. If you want a quality distortion pedal that can play pretty much anything(ESPECIALLY METAL) GET THIS! Don't waste your money on those fake sounding Boss and DigiTech pedals. I've done it before.

This is built like a tank. Nothing has gone wrong with it yet(have had it for a year). I would Definately buy a power supply. Although you WILL be able to play a Live show with just the battery alone. My battery died after about two weeks. You don't need a backup.

It is very easy to get the sound that you are looking for. There are 6 controls that are similar to any other amplifier that you would use. So if you're able to figure out how to use the settings on your amp than it will be easy with this too. The top boost just gives you a more treble sound, which can be good for playin leads when you are playing Live.