Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

I run a B\.C\. Rich NT Jr. V (bridge pickup has been switched to a Seymour Duncan Blackout) into this pedal and then straight into the clean channel of a Marshall MG15DFX. The amp's pretty poor so I essentially use it as a power amp with the Metal Muff taking over the duties of a pre-amp. I've played it through various other amps during band practice such as the Peavey Classic and the Peavey Bandit and it's managed to push them to awesome tone. As I mentioned before the treble can be a bit much and I don't like having the Top Boost particularly high or it sounds a bit thin. Also when you change the volume setting: be prepared to have to tweak EVERYTHING else. I can get a very nice Children Of Bodom tone out of this, it improved the tone of my crappy amp massively, it now sounds better than a fair few amps that would cost me about 5 times as much as the pairing of this pedal and my amp. Settings I use are: Volume: 9 o'clock Top Boost: 9 o'clock Treble: 2 o'clock Mid: 4 o'clock Bass: 11 o'clock Distortion: 1 o'clock

I play metal and as the name suggests this is perfect for metal. I've played for around 3 years and I own a B\.C\. Rich NT Jr. V and a Marshall MG15DFX. If this pedal were stolen or lost I would definitely get a new one, it's pretty much the foundation of my tone and without it, it wouldn't sound like me playing. My favorite feature is the distortion, it just sounds really nice. I chose this because I had terrible tone and I'd heard good things about it. It had EQ settings too so that was a definite plus. I've compared it to other distortion pedals that my friends own, I'm not sure on names (one is a little Orange Boss one)and it's much better. One thing I wish this had was an option to neither boost nor lower the signal going through it. This would make it much easier to transition from distorted tones to clean tones without having to figure out the specific volume that matches the volume that your amp is currently set to. Another feature would be a noise gate, noise isn't a big issue but it'd just be something nice.

I've had this pedal for about 2 years now and it's only had one issue and I suspect that was my fault. The power supply jack is broken so I can only use batteries. I think I might have run too many volts through it though so that might be my fault. I'd definitely use this without a backup, though I'd make sure to change the batteries before hand just in case... It'd really suck to be playing Live and have your batteries go.

It's fairly easy to get a nice sound out of it. The treble can be a bit much if you EQ it badly but it's not much of an issue. I was a bit disappointed that there was no manual, some presets would have been nice. I've learned to get the tones I want out of it and it's pretty much become my "must have" peice of gear.

munkee shred
    Dude I just love this thing, put on midrange scoop, crank the gain and just shred all day long, its now my favorite pedal