Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

I'm running this pedal through a 15W Peavey Rage 158 amp with my trusty Peavey Vortex exp, and this pedal just rips! It can get a bit of a hiss with a high gain setting but you don't really notice it when you're going through your chops. The effect is a very good toned heavy metal distortion. It never gets weaker and it is perfect for my favortite bands, Metallica, Megadeth, and a whole lot of Ozzy. Overall the sound of this pedal is the best heavy metal sound I've used so far. Top boost is good if you want a little extra treble to bring out your solo but if its too high then it can get a bit screechy.

I've been playing heavy metal and classic rock for about 2 years now. I've gone through my fair share of pedals and so far this is my favorite. But the only thing I wish this pedal had is a frequency knob, that would've made this pedal perfect in my opinion. If this were lost or stolen, boy I'd be pissed...But then I'd go to guitar center and get another one. I love the heavy distortion and its versitility but the Top boost can get a bit nasty if its up too high. Compared to the Boss ML-2 I traded it in for, its way better, I see this pedal with me for a long time. But this thing is horrible for classic rock, don't try playing Pink Floyd with this!

This thing is built like a tank, it is tough! You can depend on this sucker on the road. Stomping on it won't do a thing, for all the time I've had it I haven't needed to replace any parts or have it repaired. Even though its realiable it's always good to have a backup in case something happens. Even though you don't need it.

The 3 band EQ only took me a couple of minutes to mess around with, I wouldn't recommended this to people who've never messed with EQ settings but its simple enough for people with some experience. The manuel wasn't very helpful, there wasn't alot on there but its not hard to mess with the EQ. Other than that its pretty simple, Volume knob, top boost control, treble, mid, bass EQ and a distortion knob, all this stuff makes this pedal pretty versitile.

Way Cool JR.
    tristan_deity wrote: I own this pedal and my main complaint is that the top boost makes your guitar sound way to trebley.
    r3h0ld3r wrote: I've got one. Like it. I also agree that the top boost makes it really trebly, but I suppose I could fool with the EQ a bit more.
    It is trebly because it is a boost to cut through the mix for your solos not to play all the time. It is just like people play the neck or both pickups for rhythm and switch to the bridge for solos on duel buckers. So the pedal does what it is made to do I love it my self wouldn't trade it for anything worth 5 times as much.
    soadrhcpmuse
    i have a mim strat with 3 single coils. would this pedal have really bad hissing sounds??? :o