Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

I have a Strat with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge, and a stock Strat pickup in the neck and middle position. It sounds amazing and very metal like with my Duncan, and in the middle/neck it sounds really low and kind of fuzzy with low distortion settings. It is really noisy with the single coil pickups, obviously, but if you have distortion lower on the pedal, the single coils sound nice. Now for the humbucking Seymour Duncan, there is NO noise, unless the distortion is on max, then there is a little. The distortion is not weak, in fact at the lowest level, it is still pretty darn crunchy. This pedal is great for Metallica to Slipknot, BUT it is also good for other things like Nirvana and stuff like that with a lot of distortion. The mid range control is very helpful for scooping and the bass is VERY strong. Set your amp eq flat, and sculpt it with the pedal only. The volume control really can make your amp scream. The top boost switch is okay. I keep it really low, if its too high, it sound kind of bad. But other than that, its great. OH and this pedal sounds good with solid state amps!

Playing metal, rock, grunge, and really anything heavy, this petal is a perfect match for me. I would definitely buy another if it were stolen. I love the Equalizer, especially the mid control, like for metal I usually scoop the mids down, but for nirvana I boost them up! If you have a solid state amp get this and noth the Metal Core, It sounds bad on solid state, but the Metal Muff Is Great on all amps!

Oh yes. This pedal is built to last. I would definately depend on it, and gig without a backup. BUT GET A POWER SUPPLY! Its not easy on batteries, especially with the top boost on. It is all metal casing, and has 4 pretty thick screws in the back panel, and has 4 small rubber feet. The batterie is located behind the back pannel. Its really sturdy.

It takes a while to EQ it just right to get the sound you want, but it does sound good. There is a manual for it, but I wish it had presets in it for the pedal. It takes a while to get setting how you want, but record them down on paper and once you have a good starting point, you can experiment with sound.

grungelive72
    Warm it up with a tube amp or an overdrive pedal (I do both) and it sounds fantastic. This along with a (used) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is the best I can do for my budget and it gives me a great alt./metal tone. I'm saving up for an Orange Dark Terror and a 4x12 cab though