Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Price paid: € 85

Purchased from: local store

I am using it with my Cort M600 through my Yamaha G50-112, and also Peavey Rage 258. The Peavey one is pretty bad sounding, but with this charm (Metal Muff goodness) it becomes pretty damn good. It really can turn even the cheapest guitar with the cheapest amplifier to a very, very good sounding metal stuff. The Duncan Designed pickups on my Cort produce very full sound, which just adds to the great feeling of the pedal - the sound is so heavy and full, really super-pleasure to hear. My bandmates are constantly getting ear-orgasms when I play through this. Variability: you can get literally tons of different sounds just by turning the distortion knob, I mean everything from country/distorted blues to some brutal death metal. If you add the very powerful and effective EQ, you get even more sounds, which will sound perfect and full to your ears. The EQ does really a great job, I always tinker my sound to my personal needs in just that moment, and I've never been disappointed by it. On some cheaper distortion/metal pedals, you could notice, that when you play more notes, they loose their individual tones and sound just like a mess. Needless to say, this is really not an issue of this one. Even when you play an open chord, you can feel the tones very well. As for noise, I'm using it with 300mA adapter, although you should use 200mA, so it really makes high volume noticeable noise when you don't play. On the battery, however, it is totally silent, so I guess I should get 200mA adapter. I play mostly Megadeth, and this pedal can suit every album, from the oldest ones, to the new.

I'm playing... Wait for it... Metal! Many kinds in fact, from some slow ballads, through some punkish styles on to older and newer thrash metal and ending with some black metal like Cradle Of Filth from time to time. It fits everything perfectly. The thing I like on this box is the EQ, which is super effective and super powerful, if you tinker with it a little bit, you can easily get that perfect sound your ears need. It has really breathtaking and very full and heavy sound, which can even move to compact if you like/need it. The surprising thing about it is the fact, that it can Drive literally any guitar to, or at least really close to metal sound heaven. I have tried it on a Peavey Rage Plus EXP, my previous guitar, which is really weak and the pickups are really bad, and it still sounded great through this effect. And not to forgot to mention the top boost, which I don't really use a lot, but I like to have the option to use it. It can be used to cut through the whole group on soloing and stuff like that, you just need to keep it low, as it will sound terrible on higher settings. So just to say it again, it is perfect and you will enjoy every single tone you play with it.

I have it only for a short time and take care of it, but it feels really really good, the build quality seems very well and overally, I think it would survive even some harder drops and kicks, so I would definitely use it on a gig without backup, since I can't afford a backup. Even though it feels nice, I can't give it 10, because I didn't test it's durability.

As for ease of use, it is probably not so easily usable by absolute beginners, but for everyone that is experienced with using pedals and tweaking the sound on his amp+effect won't really have problem with this pedal. You just keep the volume and the EQ at default, set your desired distortion and tinker the sound with the super-powerful EQ. Setting it up for a good sound wasn't a problem at all for me, although I'm used to effect pedals. But yeah, as for first pedal for some beginner, it may seem hard to get a desired sound.