Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: Amazon

I'm using this on a Roland Cube 15XL which is far from being the best metal amp on the market... Even on the Cube 15 this thing is a beast. I got it cause I wasn't happy with the distortion on my Cube which sounds quite flat and lifeless and isn't very customizable at all. The Muff does all the above very well though, It's highly customizable and has some real kick to it, there's no hissing or anything, it's completely silent both on a battery and with an adapter... It can be quite soft or it can sound like a lion gargling broken glass and acid and I can only imagine what it sounds like on a proper good amp. I've only had it for 2 days now but so far I was able to replicate stuff ranging from rock to death and black metal. I'm also using it with a cheap Behringer DD600 delay pedal and I must say that together they can do a pretty mean black metal tone... So far the Muff handled Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica, Emperor, Carcass, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Municipal Waste, The Offspring quite well... I'm sure it can do a lot better with a better amp but all things considering I am quite impressed with it so far.

So I mainly play... Metal... Of course but actually I play anything that can be played with a guitar... Blues, punk, rock, ballads, whatever... The Muff is most suited to playing the heavier kinds of metal but it can do other stuff as well, especially if you mix it with some delay and reverb. The only thing I wish it had was a way to save a few presets at least and switch through them but hey, nothing's perfect. The only other distortion pedal I owned was a Zoom (can't remember the model) multi effect which was absolutely awful and sounded like crap and the build in Boss effects my Roland Cube has and the Muff blows them away... Blowing away a 15 watt modelling amp and a crappy multi effect pedal isn't saying much but for my needs (practicing, doing covers, playing with my mates, having fun) it's a brilliant little piece of kit.

It's Solid Metal and it looks like it can handle an A Bomb. I only had it 2 days so I can't really tell how reliable it actually is but it looks like a tank, all the knobs are solid heavy duty plastic, everything is solid, nothing looks like it could break off... Ever... It runs on a 9V battery which goes underneath the Muff and getting to it was a bit of a pain in the arse cause it has 4 screws you need to unscrew. The downside is that the battery that came with it only lasted me a single day but I did keep it plugged in the amp and apparently it still eats up the battery even if it's turned off but plugged in. I do recommend an adapter.

It wasn't particularly easy nor was it particularly hard to get a good tone out of this thing. With a bit of patience you can get any metal and just about any kind of rock tone. The knobs are pretty sensitive so if you move one of them just a little bit you're most likely somewhere else entirely.

McLuvins92
    ParkwayTwid wrote: it puts the knobs in your face nice quote right, not being funny, but i dont like the tone of this pedal. i want to like it, because i do think its heavy distortion wise. so can someone answer me this: is it because of my guitar? i own a Yamaha RGXA2, which...lets face it isn't very metal. i own a Vox VT80+ too, but i know it isn't that.
    It's the amp. I have the same amp and it sound bad because you have to have the distortion on the amp to even hear anything. When I use it with my other amp (a Peavey Bandit and more former amp a Line 6 Spider 2) it sounds really good.