Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

I run an Epiphone SG with high gain DiMarzios in both the neck and bridge position (I can't remember the exact pickup models off the top of my head) through the pedal into a Marshall MG30 solid state combo amp. With this simple practise setup I was able to achieve a very bass-heavy Death/Doom sound similar to the likes of Asphyx, Hooded Menace and Autopsy, and with some tweakage I also managed to get a very traditional doom sound that was somewhat reminiscent of "Dopethrone" era Electric Wizard. I'm currently in the market for a better amp set up too so I'm sure I'll be able to coax some even meatier sludgy tones out of it with significant ease! The top boost is a great feature that gave me a very smooth lead tone which, while having a massive bottom end gave great articulation of every note without being overly bright or tinny. There is some buzz when not playing, however the pedal, luckily enough, utilizes true bypass technology which means in a gigging situation you can very easily bypass the pedal between songs and it will remain dead silent.

I personally play death metal (The likes of Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and some more brutal stuff like Defeated Sanity and Cerebral Bore), doom metal (anything from St. Vitus and Candlemass, to Warning and 40 Watt Sun, right through to Triptykon and Winter), Thrash and black metal. So far I have only tried for a more death metal and doom oriented, bass heavy sound, however I am more than confident it will be able to handle Thrash and black metal without any difficulty. I have been playing for a little over 3 years and certainly don't have the gear setup that I desire, however this pedal has certainly pushed me in the right direction towards feedback drenched doomy Mecca. I would replace the pedal without second thought if it were to be lost or stolen. I have used a big muff in the past which is also a great pedal, however the metal muff can achieve similar tones while also allowing more heavily palm muted, chuggy rhythm playing to sound excellent in its own right. Sorry for focussing so much on how great a doom sound it has provided me with, however I am primarily a doom guitarist and I'm sure atleast a couple of people reading this will be too. Regardless of your taste in subgenres I'm sure this pedal will provide any metal player with a sound they will love!

The pedal is quite clearly a hard wearing stompbox - it is made out of what I assume is either steel or aluminium and it looks and feels ready to take a beating from a pair of heavy boots. It has a very reassuring heaviness to it that certainly at least gives an impression of extreme durability. I would be more than happy to use it for gigging purposes without a backup as I cannot imagine it stopping working in a hurry. I would advise using a 9V power supply rather than batteries however as such a high gain pedal will surely drain batteries at high speeds.

I plugged the stompbox straight in when I got it home and within less than half an hour of EQ'ing I had found the exact sound I was looking for. The knobs are clearly labelled enough to not require any manual reading whatsoever - this pedal is one of the easiest pedals to use that I have ever come across!

dirtfoot
    There should be label in the battery compartment that says "Useless 9V battery" or "Expect to replace 9V battery every 45 min." This thing is juice.