Metal Muff With Top Boost review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Metal Muff With Top Boost

Purchased from: Absolute Music

At the moment I'm running this through a Peavey Vypyr 30 (pracitce amp). I use the green Twn channel and with the Metal Muff on top of that I can get a a multitude of different sounds. I've gone for the doomy direction - using Drop A tuning and very little guitar tone, this can get great deep sounds with a delicate bit of fuzz. Turning the guitar tone up, you can get a bluesy fuzzy kind of OD sound. There's no background noise or whatever even when using a power supply. There are a range of sounds you can get from it and while I am reasonably happy with the sounds I can use, it's just not quite for me, but no doubt others will love it. If you're using a higher tuning, plenty of tone and not much bass on the Muff, you can easily get good crunchy metal tones.

As said before, I go for a doom-influenced style plus stoner-rock kind of stuff and use a Phaser on top of the metal muff a lot. It does a good job of that, but for me it seems to lack that cutting edge - I like the sounds I can get but it isn't quite perfect for me. Part of this is probably down to my amp though. It will be interesting to see how it matches up to a tube amp when I get one. I've been playing for about 5 years now and have used a couple of distortion pedals and this has been the best of the lot - but like I say, the sound just isn't quite right for me so I'm likely to get an actual fuzz to replace it. If I lost it or whatever then I wouldn't buy a replacement - because I intend on replacing my Metal Muff soon enough anyway. All things considered, this is actually a very good piece of equipment and can handle just about any style of rock you want - you just need to spend the time to get there. I'd recommend this without hesitation, it's just not for me.

There is nothing to suggest that this isn't a reliable piece of equipment. It is very well built, nice and solid and I am sure you can gig with it easily. I'd use it at a gig without backup quite happily. If you really wanted to, I am sure you could drop it and kick it about and find it still in one piece. Personally I haven't gigged or anything but there is nothing to suggest that this pedal can't handle a gig and a good beating. As said above though - it NEEDS a power supply. You really can't really on the battery to last very long.

Simple controls - you've got a bypass switch, a boost switch and various control knobs. Very self-explanatory. You'll need to work a bit to get the top boost to fit in with the way you set it up but apart from that there are no real issues getting the sounds you want - you just need to sit and mess around with the knobs for a while. Very easy to use but my only gripe is the time it takes to find a good sound - the knobs are pretty sensitive to it will take a while to hit the sweet spot. Also, you need a power supply. It eats up batteries very quickly which means you'd have to unscrew the cover on a regular basis to replace them.

toneage
    Metal Muff is a great distortion pedal considering the price, build quality and distortion texture. I paid $50 used. You could cover just about every hard rock to metal tones going just use it with a regular cleanish amp. Though I wouldn't use it for SRV type sounds though cause its a different palette of tonality perhaps say a regular overdrive pedal would work for that. If you can't afford a mesa boogie 6505 or Marshall then Metal Muff will keep you warm at night.
    petruccigilbert
    I traded my zoom g2nu and samsamp GT2 for this pedal and used it on gig the day as well.. All I can say is, this pedal totally rocks!!! I can get the sound that I really want.. I can get the sound of mesa boogie.. I'm using Ibanez RG321 with Dimarzio Tonezone on bridge and Paf Joe on the neck.. Just tweak the volume and the EQ well..
    Deermonic
    Shelved my Boss MD-2 (still have Boss stuff though) because I needed that 80s distortion like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica but they get theirs mostly from their expensive tube amps and racks, hence the absence of a distortion pedal. This Muff though is hand's down the one for that kinda distortion and at an affordable price. Its brutal. Just turn the volume knob and distortion up, then play clean, turn it on, instant gallop sounding hard distortion. Press boost and the signal can get far out there. If you want new metal, this can do it too but maybe Dunlop's MXR fullbore caters for that crowd better. Basically if you have never heard distortion of the 80s thrash kind on your system, then add this and you shall have it in aces.