Micro Metal Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Micro Metal Muff

The Micro MM is good for high gain distortion. from Radiohead's Marshall Shredmaster type distortion to extreme metal distortion. I was using it with a Fender '62 Jaguar and a Fender HSS Stratocaster. It gives a good-sounding metal tone. Much better than my previous high gain distortion box, the Line 6 uber metal (which was crap). Unfortunately, the good parts stop here. To me, the top boost Switch is useless, as it gives a ear-piercing high pitched scream (not feedback) when you use it in the "hi" setting, for most settings, making the "hi" useless. To me, the "lo" also sounded like crap, so I never used the top boost Switch. Also, the metal muff feedbacks easily when you stop playing and leave it engaged, which was actually why I kept it for so long. I used it's easy to feedback "feature" in gigs. Fortunately for me the feedback was controllable for it to not be ear-piercing. Lastly, the hum is very loud. I'm using a 1spot adaptor. I've gigged at a few places with this pedal and jammed at many different studios. Even changed the adaptor and stuff. But the feedback wont go off. And this is not because of the single coils in my Jaguar. My strat has a 'bucker in it. However, despite the flaws, this pedal is a decent pedal if you want to be able to dial a nice sounding metal tone. I've since replaced the metal muff with a MI Audio Crunch Box.

I play a wide variety of music. Rock to blues to metal. Primarily rock and the "older" hard rock music. I used this pedal at first because I wanted a Jonny Greenwood sound, as well as metal distortion. It does give a good distortion. However, it does have a few problems, as seen in the "sound" section. I've since then replaced it with a Crunch Box by MI Audio. If it were lost, I'd try out other pedals, including the actual Metal Muff. It seems a lot more tweakable and sounds like a better pedal.

I definitely can rely of this pedal. I've gigged and jammed with this pedal quite a fair bit in the 9 months this pedal have been in my possession. Sturdy construction, and it doesn't seem like it will break within the next decade or so as long as you don't take a sledge hammer to it or something.

The Electro-Harmonix micro MM is easy to use. 3 knobs: volume, tone and distortion, as well as a top boost Switch: hi, off and lo. Pretty basic. The learning curve is not too steep so straight from the box it would be easy to dial a decent metal tone from the pedal.

mathman51
    i own this pedal and i will say without a doubt its a 10 across the board. as far as metal petals go this one has severe crunch and great tone. I used to own a digitech death metal petal...used too! traded it for this beast
    Blas3
    I've tried, and compared this, the big and the Nano muff, and I must say, that for the tone, the Nano sounded the best... That had the crunch I was looking for. This one was too muddy for me...
    babybeastie
    with only 3 knobs, you'll find it difficult to clear the dirty sound off this pedal. it's out put is also quite weak. i honestly think that the Matal Zone is better than this piece, or at least get the big metal muff instead.