Micro Metal Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Micro Metal Muff

Purchased from: A friend

I play this through a Tanglewood Superstrat which I'm getting rid of soon with fairly high output Humbuckers through a Vox VT30 and I can a great sound from Heavy punk and Hard Rock all the way up to the likes of Black and Death Metal. I mainly play Hard Rock, Symphonic, Power and Melo-Death metal with bands such as In Flames, Amon Amarth, Children Of Bodom, Nightwish, Amorphis, Sabaton, Halestorm, Shinedown and Rammstein to name a few and some punk bands like Rise Against and Paramore for which this pedal suits me well. Not so much for punk due to the very high gain this pedal provides but still fantastic for all genres and sub genres of Hard Rock and Metal. It can be noisy with the distortion all the way up but that is just most likely my guitar.

For the style of music I play, it is a good match except for the punky stuff but I am going to buy a DigiTech HOT Rod soon which will solve that problem. I've had a DS-1 before but this pedal really out matches it with the sound I get from it. If it we're to be stolen, I would maybe buy it again or go for the older brother instead as I am a bit more experienced with getting a range of sounds from pedals. But as I am happy with the sound I get from this, it maybe a difficult choice. But, this a great pedal for all genres of Metal and Hard Rock and it would be great for beginners with its ease of use in using this pedal and getting a good sound out of it. I would recommend it to any Metal guitarist looking for a flexible Metal distortion pedal.

This pedal is literally a tank, I can easily depend on it at a full gig. But we wary that it absolutely eats batteries so you would be better off using a power supply. I've had this for almost a year and nothing has gone wrong with it except the Top Boost switch is a little flimsy after kicking it by mistake but it still works okay. The footswitch is very strong and doesn't seem like it would break unless you jump or stand on it, but why would you do that to this beast? I can easily depend on it at a gig no problem. It looks like it can last me for a very long time.

This pedal is very easy to use. There are Volume, Tone and Distortion knobs which obviously speak for themselves and a Hi/ Lo Top Boost which if you switch to Hi gives your guitar a screaming sound that is good for pinch harmonics and raging solos and the Lo sound which does the opposite and good for chugging rhythms and heavy palm muting. As soon as I first used it, I found a sound I liked from it which impressed me because I didn't have to fiddle about like most other pedals and especially this pedals older brother.