Micro POG review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Micro POG

My main set up at present is; Gibson SG or LP > TU-2 > DS-2 > modded Crybaby > Micro POG > Big Muff Pi > DD-3 > Vox AC30 and Orange TH30C. There is little-to-no noise from the pedal and there's is very little degredation in signal (it's not true bypass like many EHX products). You can cover a fair bit of ground with this pedal getting organ-like synth(y) sounds (Oct Up at 3 o'clock, Sub @ 11 o'clock, Dry @ 12), a fair facsimilie of a bass by cutting the Oct Up completely out of the mix and dropping the Dry to around the 7 o'clock or sqealing weirdness by cutting Dry and Sub and maxing out the Up. If you like White Stripes, Raconteurs, Them Crooked Vultures, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age, Muse, Hendrix, Rage Against The Machine (among many more) there's enough going on in this little box to keep you going for hours. Whilst it's not a 100% pure tone and has elements of the mechanic about it the Micro POG does a fine job. The tracking is great, too. Again, not 100% but up in the high 90s and far better than other octave-split pedals I have heard over the years. It is possible to get a little too carried away, though... Be careful! It tracks chords, which is a massive advantage at this price (sub $200 USD - although I can't recall exactly how much I paid). Certainly a keeper. But I'm a hoarder, too.

My bands and projects cover everything from rock, punk, funk, blues, folks, hip-hop and reggae... With a touch of industrial and metal thrown in for good measure. I chop and change my pedal board regularly and have accumilated quite a few pedal over the years. And guitars... Having played for almost 20 years this is a great addition to the family and remains on the board 85% of the time, and when it's not there I usually find myself wishing it were - just for the convenience of having that additional... Something to add to the sound. If it were lost or stolen I'd be straight out to get another. It may not be as adaptable as the POG or POG2, but I wasn't after something that "in depth" - I like to keep things (relatively) simple. It also comes in handy for recording bass parts on demos at home on the fly without having the hassle of setting up a bass rig. Although it doesn't sound like a Fender P-Bass through a G+K rig it is sufficient for getting ideas onto mp3 or wav files for the band to learn. I already have a Boss OC-2 - and that returns to the pedal board now and then, but generally the Micro POG is the superior product (the chordal tracking!). Shame it's not true-bypass, but that's not the end of the world. Simply put, it's a gem!

I've had it for about 10 months, gigged with it and use it for recording sessions, jams, band practice and have had no problems. Never had any problems with EHX gear though, so pretty confident that I could cope without backup. The chassis is solid, the Switch and pots feel decent enough.

Simplicity on a stick. This has three simple controls that are pretty self explanatory; Dry (that'll be your guitar sound), Sub Octave (an octave lower than the not/chord you're playing) and Octave Up (yep, an octave higher than whatever you happen to be plucking away at). There's no battery compartment, it needs a 9v centre-negative adaptor (I got mine from the US and one was included but live in Australia, but it works fine with my PSU). Single instrument input and two outputs; one is your effected signal and the other is dry, which can be handy. There were a few settings included in the brief manual which make a good starting point, but it hardly requires an PHD in engineering to figure out.

DeafPolka
    If you have the pedal off but both outputs plugged in to amps does it transmit the signal out of both outputs? I need to know if I need to buy another kill switch
    bluesman-82
    i got one a few months ago and im very happy with it, i wouldve prefered the original pog but theyre hard to come across (and to afford). i like the organ sound and im thinking of investing in a volume pedal to use along side it. im suprised that i found i mainly use it for the bass sound.it works great for recording on my loop station. this pedal isnt a neccesity at all but if u have the money its worth getting
    agentguerry
    I have one and I have it set up after my distortion pedals, but before my chorus and delays. I have tried it in front of the distortion pedals, but I prefer it after. This is worth the money.
    CorporalGylton
    This is an amazing pedal! Unfortunately its pretty expensive... I'd personally put an extra 50 quid in and go for the POG 2