Mole Bass Booster review by Electro-Harmonix

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Electro-Harmonix: Mole Bass Booster

Purchased from: Ebay

I run an ESP Eclipse II with Seymour Duncan pickups thru an Engl Screamer 50 combo so it is pretty simple setup with no complicated effects to make life hard. I have jsut inserted The Mole by EHX into my effects loop to get the best tone from my amp as possible. Nothing to big to say on the sound as it only drop your frequencys down to a maximum of -20db which is rather handy depending on what level of heavy you are after.

I tend to play more hardcore music and I only bought this pedal to add bass to my sound and it has done that for me surprisingly as it was a buy on ebay out of the blue. I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it mainly for the fact my sound is constantly changing but I do love this pedal now that I have worked out how to use properly.

It is constructed into a metal box which seems stronger than most Boss pedals and is very light weight and will last me years though I wouldn't have a backup I would be fine to go on without this pedal. I only use this to add an extra -3db to my sound as I run a combo and don't get the repsonse of an enclosed cab.

To master this pedal is pretty damn easy all you need to decide where it is best situated in your signal and is a one know effect pedal. I found mine was best in my effects loop as my Engl Screamer has a knob to determine how much of the signal is effect/dry, this helps alot as the pedal tends to drop all the frequencys down so you lose your treble a bit. I have found my tone to perfection with this pedal now and no one will realise that it is helping shape the character of my sound now as it just hides away behind my amp.

chy_qn
    Face the facts - all it does is boosting the low and mid-low parts of signal. I think it pays off to spare some extra money and buy a Boss Equalizer.
    Stretch_Wilson
    I bought it as my amp is a combo and doesn't have enclosed speakers to get that thick bass you would normally hear from the music i listen to. I do agree with chy_qn about it just been a boost but for what i paid it damn sure saves money than buying an eq pedal, as my effects loop is a beautiful mix of series and parrall so i can get the bass heavy sound with my bright treble and mids still in the mix with they way i have set it up.
    dynopascal
    I think it's a good way to alter your sound and at the same being less dependent on your amps' eq, if that makes the difference, why not? I use the boss equalizer for a telephone sound and 'dimmer', and use the mole to spring the heavy lows in the real cornering heavy parts. WORKS