Nano Clone review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Clone

The lack of a Depth control limits the Nano Clone's usefulness to me. I usually use chorus one of two ways: either lots of rate and depth for that underwater sound, or with rate almost off and depth way up for a doubling effect. The Nano Clone's lack of a depth control makes this impossible. As you turn the Rate down, the Depth seems to decrease as well, so you get less effect overall. I am quite sure that Electro-Harmonix wanted to stay true to the original Small Clone's layout, but I really do miss a depth knob. Other than that, the Nano Clone is a no-frills chorus whose sound is pretty good for a mono pedal.

I don't find anything really bad about the Nano Clone, but it doesn't really inspire me either. The chorus sounds good, but I like it to be more lush, like the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus or the Roland Dimension D. Keep in mind, though, that both these products are far more expensive and harder to find. Electro-Harmonix has made a pedal that has a great tone-per-dollar ratio. If you're on a budget and don't have much extra space on your pedal board, the Nano Clone could be just the ticket for you. Thanks to www.geartree.com.

The Nano series pedals seem to be built well in general, with a cast casing and heavy-duty parts. One thing I don't like is that the jacks are mounted directly to the circuit board and are not fastened to the casing in any way. The short of it is, if you step on or yank a cable that's plugged into the pedal, you are likely to break the jack. I know we are talking about a very inexpensive pedal here, but I personally would rather pay more money for a more durable design.

There's a knob for Rate, and a switch to engage the pedal's effect. You can't get much simpler than that, can you? The Nano Clone's small size makes it easy to fit on a small pedal board, so that is a definite plus. I would have given it a 10, but you have to unscrew four screws and pull the back plate off to change the battery. I like an easier way to replace the battery. That's the only problem I could find with ease of use.

gign
    I think it goes for around $70 USD. That's MSRP, you might find a cheaper street price.
    Sports Drink
    I have the Small Clone, I like it but it's not as durable or sturdy as the nano clone. I bought my small clone for $80, and my friend was going to buy a nano for $50, so it's a good deal for the money.
    mfergel
    I'll point out one major issue with the nano clone.....you can not daisy chain the pedal. It requires it's own power supply.
    milwaukeerocker
    i tried this pedal through a fender twin with a strat and it was utterly useless because it cut the signal by a solid 20% and the effect itself was nothing to write home about. Seems like some others have had some success with this pedal, but as usual, try the damn thing before you commit to it.
    Slap-happy
    It can be daisy chained. It requires a specific adaptor. It has the same power input as a standard Big Muff Pi and that's on a chain on my board. I need a simple chorus. I bought one of the Danelector FAB ones, brand new for $10 to see if I could fit it into my sound - liked it and want an improvement - may inest in one of these.