Nano LPB-1 review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano LPB-1

Purchased from: Ebay

This pedal is number 3 in my chain after my tuner and Maxon od9. I use this pedal as a solo boost. I have it set with level maxed out. All the way up. Of course on this setting you get some massive feedback while you're not playing. I use it with my mesa amp and my Ibanez RG1570 with a tone zone and air norton. What I really love about this pedal is that it can really send your amp into crazy territory. I have my Mesa Boogie f100 head set to about 5.5 on the gain, which is not a lot of gain. That setting maybe be used for an old classic rock style with a little breakup. Mesa's are not the gain monsters some might think they are. Anyway this pedal enables my amp to go from SRV to Death, with the level knob set all the way up. Its a very very SMOOTH sounding boost. The Maxon OD9 I have has a bit of hair to it, but not the LPB-1, its very smooth. I love it. I don't use the clean channel that much on my amp. I use the rhythm channel and use my volume knob and pickup selector to get a cleaner sound. Honestly, theres not much notice is clean volume when used with an already distorted amp, but when on the clean channel, you can definitely hear a difference. Its like going from 1 to 10 on a master volume with this pedal. I mainly use it for extra sustain on lead parts.

I use all my pedals with the Pedal Power 2, so I never use batteries. I think you have to remove the bottom with a screwdriver to get to the battery compartment, and that just seems like a big hassle. But I don't use them, so its not a problem for me. I play a hard rock/metal style music (can be heard in my profile) and I think it works great. It can be used for a variety of things. You can use it at the end of a chain to compensate for signal loss with a ton of pedals, or you can use it at the front like I do to add extra boost to the amp. I swear if my 50 Maxon pedal ever broke, this would be an excellent stand in. And its only $40! If were stolen or lost, without a doubt I'd buy it again. Really, don't let this price fool you, the price makes it seem like a cheap pedal that probably doesn't sound very good, but I can assure, its the total opposite.

Its in a really heavy study metal casing. However when I did receive mine, the pole piece the knob sits on way really bent. Not sure how that happened. But I straightened it out and its all good now. I really think you could throw this thing against a wall, or have a car run over it and it would still work perfectly. This is my first experience with EH pedals, and Im very impressed!

Pedals don't get much simpler than this. It has 1 knob - a level knob. Thats it. It came with a manual, but really, do you need it for just one knob? Its the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster. It does it what it says. Its a boost pedal. Its mostly a clean boost, but after about 3 o clock, I think a little grit is added, but not much though. The manual mentions that this pedal is true bypass. I'm not one to argue with a company manual, but its crazy to think that you can get something true bypass for only $40. I find thats mostly a feature on way more expensive overdrives and effects.

celticstorm84
    Awesome little pedal, EHX makes great stuff. My brother has this and runs it infront of a JCM2000 DSL100 and it sounds awesome. Can't beat this for the price.
    Helicopters!
    CkY freak wrote: People say boss pedals are "built like a tank", and they have a plastic footswitch.
    Have you ever seen a Boss pedal?
    Mark1234567890
    Buy a tube amp and this thing and forget about any overdrive/distortion pedal because nothing can beat pure naturally boosted tube overdrive.
    CkY freak
    Well Im sorry you guys dont agree. Everybody has their opinions, and this is mine. Perhaps I should have used the words "built like a tank". People say boss pedals are "built like a tank", and they have a plastic footswitch. By the way, I dont know what the heck happened to "50 Maxon" I dont remember typing that? Maybe I meant to type OD, but that still doesnt make sense? Weird. Oh well.
    MaXiMuse
    I thinks this pedal rocks! Before your distortion kicks it up, or without distortion on it`s an natural overdrive and after can be a huge volume boost.
    CkY freak
    Thanks guys. Im glad you like it. Really I know it doesnt seem like much of a pedal. Its $40 and only has one knob. But looks can be deceiving! I urge you to at least go and try one. Even if it ends up not being your "thing" I still think you will be impressed by how much it overdrives your amp. I recently stopped using that maxon OD9 and am now using this full time. The maxon adds midrange that I dont like too much. This just boosts the signal, with no alteration on the EQ. Its amazing.
    andywragg
    Have you ever seen a Boss pedal?
    Have you? Lift up the footplate to gain access to the battery compartment, and you'll see a plastic shaft on the end of a microswitch, just like a Behringer - I know, I have both brands, plus others. I much prefer a proper latching stomp footswitch on my pedals. Just ordered the LPB-1, lets see what happens.
    guitarkis
    I own this pedal and love it. Gives me the extra db's for a solo, or my clean rhythm playing a little edge. I never have to put level past noon either....plenty of power here!
    USCENDONE BENE
    I don't find the durability of the nano range to be worthy of a 10, personally. It's sturdy box to an extent but perhaps not long-term road worthy - it's usually the pedals that are compared to 'tanks' that are worthy of a 10. Also, 50 MAXON PEDALS?! They're awesome but that would cost me about 5000!
    megaironpriest
    USCENDONE BENE 50 MAXON PEDALS?! They're awesome but that would cost me about 5000!
    I think he means A 50 Maxon pedal, not 50 of them haha
    stlcardinals
    My entire knob broke inward on mine from just light use and light travel wear. My score would be more like 3 for reliability.