Nano LPB-1 review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano LPB-1

Purchased from: Musican's Friend

The Linear Power Booster is one of the simplest boost pedals out there. Easy as it can be with a pedal with one knob, a foot switch, x input jack, and a output jack. To get a good sound out of it you must first have a good sound going into it. It amplifies signals coming in from the input jack. The pedal is analog with analog controls none of the Editing Patches complexities. There is a manual for the Linear Power Booster but its not really much to it. I'm pretty sure the only revision numbers related to the LPB-1 is the schematic revision number.

The Linear Power Booster is one of EHX's oldest effects. The Nano is just a new casing for old circuit. It sound's like a preamp has been added to your signal chain. I really doesn't alter your sound more like makes it louder. When it comes to noise, the pedal has none because its a clean boost. I can take a clean valve and and push it into overdrive or distortion if set right. I typically use it after a digital effects such as my Boss PS-2 or after the Big Muff Pi. So they will be at a level that my amp likes.

The Linear Power Booster could withstand live playing. I'm pretty sure the pedal seems like it would last. All this would seem the case with the pedals Aluminum chassis. Depend on it? sure its a great tool for getting my levels correct. I'm guessing the finish would wear off at some point in time. Not that it would be and issue because of the simplicity the pedal offers. At a gig it would be a dependable item it would mostly serve as a back up. It's kinda a just in case pedal. Since, the amp I used replaced most of the effects and pedals I use.

What is there to be impressed about it's a boost pedal. You can't put it anywhere it needs to be. I does its job and doesn't need to pretty. I kinda wished it had a quality and balanced buffer. However, its part of that true bypass fad. Thought that is nice it means if the battery is dead you can keep playing without worrying about it. I've got plenty of true bypass pedals that are like that. I did consider other pedals but I believe the LPB was on sale. It was also the simplest. I already had the Boss CS-3 I wanted to ditch.