Nano Muff Overdrive review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Muff Overdrive

Purchased from: Traded

I'm using a Gibson SG Classic through many fuzz/overdrive pedals pedals (including the standard Big Muff Pi) into a Fender FM100 w/ Marshall Cabinet. If you already have a Big Muff the tone of the nano muff is juts like the Big muff's with the tone at 12 o'clock and the Sustain rolled all the way down. It creates a warm fuzz, which can be smooth with the tone on your guitar rolled down or crunchy with the the tone up. I use it for a nice Overdrive or a solo boost. I use a Bad Monkey with a decent amount of treble over bass at the end of my effect chain and the nano muff really smooths out the tone for solos. This pedal is great for adding character to other pedals, it was fun placing it different places in my pedal line and seeing different results. This effect has a lot of volume (possibly louder than a standard muff) and could easily be used for the cleaner Hendrix tunes, classic rock, or a lighter punk Drive. Under the right settings I could see it be a nice asset to a surf guitarist's rig giving a bit of a torn speaker effect. I was a hesitant in getting this pedal but once I kicked it on I fell in love.

I play grunge/alternative music, basically '90s-present in my band, as well as '60s/'70s rock, and this pedal can be used in many situations within those genres. I've been playing for a little over 2 years and other pedals I own are (that haven't beens mentioned above): MXR blue Box, Devi Ever AR-DF, and Small clone. If it were stolen I'd definitely buy it again, it's a great pedal for it's low price. I love it's warmness and it gives a great boost to my lighter songs and can make a mean fuzz in my heavier songs. I couldn't really ask for more, this pedal is as simple and sweet as it gets, don't hesitate to buy it.

The nano line come in nice MXR sized metal casings so I imagine it'd hold up well for a long time. I'd gig it without a backup, but technically I'll already have one since I use a Big Muff as well. anywho, the pedal looks rock solid, I can imagine me stomping on it years from now.

The simple Muff: there's one knob for volume, pretty easy to use. Since there is no tone or gain knobs, you're only option is the tone given, which is good tone. Mine didn't come with a manual but if you need a manual on a volume knob, well you may need a manual for life.