Nano Pocket Metal Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Pocket Metal Muff

Purchased from: Back Beat Music

This pedal holds up really well in the sound department. Your gonna get a whole mess of distortion with this, so natrually, it's gonna be a bit noisy, but you can really cut down on that by standing away from TV screens and stuff like that. The only thing is that it really isnt made to give any sorta "Hard Rock Crunch" or '80s rock sounds, it's all Metal here. I'm currently running a Eipiphone SG Special with some heavy gauge strings through this to a Peavy 30watt Bandit Amp. I can get some sounds pretty close to Metallica and other Thrash Metal bands with it but that's about it. This pedal was designed for an axmen on a budget, so it's not that flexable, but it does its job well.

As the box says, "your fistfull of metal" is a pretty accurate discription of this product. After about 3 years of serious playing, I'm quite content with this pedal. Although it might not stack up to it's bigger brothers in versatility, it holds down a good metal tone very well. As for any other style forget about it. The mid-scoop Switch alters the tone a bit, but it's more of a tweak kind of thing. If it had High and Low frequency pots, it would be great, but this pedal was designed for someone on a budget to buy, plug in, and rock. I was going to save up for an Uber Metal Pedal, but for 60 bucks, I'm quite sastfied with this product. If it were stolen, I would probably buy aonther to hold me over till I can save up for a full-sized Metal Muff, but for a mini, it does its job with gusto.

This 'lill box is built prety tough. It's made from aluminum (I think) and all the knobs, switches, and inner components are held down well. I don't think this pedal is gonna break down any time soon. One of the only problem is the battery compartment is hard to get to. The only way to get to it is to unscrew four screws on the back, but this can be overcome with the 9v adapter you can use on most pedals. As for gigging, I haven't have much experince in that department, but I would probably use it with a backup, but only if I lost it, because I don't think this will die mid-show unless you try to turn it on with a sledge hammer or something.

This pedal is quite easy to use. Two knobs, one is for volume and one is for the level of distortion you get. Then there is a mid-frequency scoop Switch with three positions; high, low, and off. A basic footswitch button thing on top is all you need to turn this mini-beast on or off. The manual that came with it is easy to understand and somewhat helpful.

bighall
    Sorry, on my review, the second one, I said i had a 30watt bandit amp and i ment a 30watt Rage Sereies amp. Sorry about that, i didnt quite catch that.
    rock_and_blues
    I use this along with a little big muff. i get some great howling feedback and completely over the top saturation when i use them both.