Nano Pocket Metal Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Pocket Metal Muff

The sound of this pedal is decent, at best. I'm using it with a PRS SE Semi-Hollow through a Vox AC15. Although this isn't a 'metal' rig, I've used this set up with other distortion pedals with great success. This pedal is very loose, and on higher distortion levels, muddy and kind of fuzzy. With no mid scoop, it sounds weak and thin on the high-end, with a strange mid-range 'crang' on the bridge pickup that isn't pleasing. On the neck pickup it gives pretty good lead tones, IMO the best tones out of this pedal. In the middle position, or scooped mids mode, this pedal has a huge low-end, with a very nu-metal-esque scooped mid-range. Although this is the 'Lo' choice for the mid scoop, it's still very scooped, probably too much for most people. On the 'Hi' mid scoop mode, this pedal is even more scooped. At this point it's a lot like the 'Lo' mode with a big low-end, but it has absolutely no presence. I didn't find much use for this mode.

I wasn't expecting much out of this pedal, and I came away from it with what I expected. This is a beginner's pedal, with a half-decent sound for cliche nu-metal type stuff. It's only redeeming factor is that it's relatively cheap, and can do relatively decent lead tones, not amazing, but pretty okay. I bought this pedal on a whim, expecting to return it, and I will be after I got to play it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you could get it for very, very cheap and it's for practice.

This pedal doesn't feel or look nearly as reliable as my other EHX pedals. The enclosure feels a lot lighter than other pedals of the same size, and it almost looks like plastic. I'm sure it'd be fine to gig with, although I'm not exactly impressed. Also, it looks like the jacks are fitted into slots in the side of pedal, not in their own holes which could cause problems.

This pedal is very easy to use, it only has two knobs (Volume and Distortion, both very self-explanatory), and one 'Scoop' Switch that at the lowest setting gives you flat mids, at the middle ('Lo' mode) gives a scooped mid range, and at the top ('Hi' mode) gives a very scooped mid range.

Levi79
    I checked out a Boss Metalcore, Boss Metalzone, Digitech Death Metal, and a bad monkey overdrive and a zakk wylde overdrive (overdrives in front of dirt channel of valveking)and this was the best, and 2nd cheapest