Nano Pocket Metal Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Pocket Metal Muff

Purchased from: Music Master

I'm using this with a Grover Jackson Dinky DK-1, basswood body, rosewood neck, Licensed Floyd Rose and a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell and a Schaller Hot Stuff in the two humbucking slots for a superb heavy tone into a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp, which different effects every now and then. The pedal isn't noisy at all but this is NOT a booster pedal to boost a distortion sound. It sounds best when it on by itself. You get a great albeit not so versatile tone when the distortion is maxed out ala Bullet For My Valentine. There is a sweetspot when there is low distortion that allows for an AC/DC-like Marshall crunch tone, though I don't use it that often. This pedal is not the best metal pedal out there, yet, for the price it is really a good catch. The sound is powerful, but pretty gainy. It adds a couple seconds of sustain when turned up to the maximum. The scoops are pretty useless though.

This is definitely a good match for my style of hard rock/metal playing. I've been playing electric for about two years now, but I'm mostly a drummer. If it were stolen or lost, I would but it again just for the "effect" on certain songs, but maybe buy an MXR Double Shot Distortion first for more versatility. I chose this pedal rather than the Boss Mega Distortion and ModTone Speedbox because I felt that it DID have better sound. Overall, a good buy and definitely not a waste of money.

Well, it is made of a steel casing and it definitely isn't a battery guzzler like the Boss MT-2 so yes, I would use it at a gig without a backup if it comes to that. However, I wouldn't use this pedal all the time during a gig. Maybe for certain songs that use heavy riffage or tunneling "sustainy" leads.

This pedal is incredibly easy to use, only two knobs, Drive and Volume, as well as a Switch regarding the High and Low midrange scoops. No manual, but it is almost two easy to use. To get your sound just tweak around, though after about 7 on the distortion knob there will only be a slight difference in the distortion tone.