Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: mug.se

I am fairly satisfied with the sound of this pedal, it is quiet easy to get the sound you want from it. I am into psychedelic post rock/space rock stuff. And this pedal is one of the essential things on my board. Turning the rate knob all the way clockwise will lead to under water type sounds which can be nice to use at times. But I regularly keep the rate knob at 11'o clock and the the position of color switch depends on: 1. Pedal after distortion: I keep the color switch toggled off. If you are aware of how Phaser works, you will see that there will be phases of volume rise and fall. And I don't appreciate it that much all the time. And toggling the color switch will lead to massive shift in volume rise and fall. But I do toggle it on when I want that effect. 2. And if pedal is placed before distortion: Then I keep the color switch toggled ON. As distortion pedal sort of flats out the sound coming from the phaser, there is no intense rise and fall in volume. But yeah the Phaser effect becomes less effective. This pedal when accompanied by some nice delays, reverbs and over drives. Can lead to very nice trippy sounds. And even the clean guitar sounds pretty cool on this. But now the down point is this pedal is not totally transparent in bypass mode, it does sucks some tone, but not too much, just a little.

Except for the little tone sucking issue which is not very highly noticeable, I am fairly satisfied. With this pedal. As I mentioned I am into weird genre music, what I play confuses over doom metal, post rock, psychedelic sounds. I see this pedal as an essential part of my gear. It is very reliable, it sounds very nice. And blends well with my other pedals, and based on its position in signal chain it makes many different sounds and I find all of them pretty cool. And it is not very expensive (this is subjective), it has a small size which is important as my pedal board is already a mess. With so many positive aspects to consider I totally recommend this pedal. And if its stolen, most likely I'll go for this pedal again, until I find a better option at that price range. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

In this department it will get full points, this pedal looks pretty solid. I don't think it will fail under any standard operating procedures. I think it is common sense to keep your pedal board away from the drunkard vocalist and some maniacs in front row. Also the small form factor of the pedal makes it less vulnerable to external shock. I think it can take a good deal of manhandling. I have been using this pedal for around 6 months now and I haven't noticed any strange behavior with it. Everything works as it should.

Among all the pedals I own, I think this is the easiest one to operate. One knob to control rate, one knob toggle switch for color, and one stomp switch for bypass. Can be powered by a 9v negative tip adapter. Only thing you could complain is requirement to un screw 4 screws to remove the backplate in order to replace the battery, I run this pedal with external power adapter most of the time when I am practicing at home, and run it only on battery when I am in rehearsal space where I need to play at higher gain, which leads to a lot of noise. So under these circumstances I replace battery in about 2 months. So replace battery is not really that big of a pain.