Small Clone Full-Chorus review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Small Clone Full-Chorus

Purchased from: Ebay

Right now I'm using a Marshall MG halfstack with it, but I've tried it with a lot of different amps. It goes with the amps sound, it makes the MG sound pretty good, but with better and better amps it just keeps sounding better and better. I use a MIM HSS Strat, and a ESP LTD EX-260 Explorer with it, and have tried it with a Epi Les Paul as well. The only issue with noise I have with it (which is really quite humorous anyway) is when I plug my pedalboard in at my friends house into a Kustom 2x12 combo and for some reason, sometimes when I turn the volume up a lot and first click it on it makes a loud popping noise just once, and then is fine. More strange than anything, and not a problem, just kind of a fluke thing. This pedal truly does sound good on almost every setting. I can hit the tones of Metallica, Nirvana, and David Gilimour of Pink Floyd very easily, it's very easy to make the pedal sound like a Leslie speaker with the rate knob cranked up, plus it's very easy to get some very spooky tones as well. Probably my favorite setting is to have the rate knob down at about 9-10 o'clock, and have the depth Switch up on the more intense mode, or down on the less intense mode, either one works. This produces a nice warm sound very easily, and spices up your cleans nicely as well.

This thing fits perfectly for Grunge, Thrash, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, etc., you name it, and it will work. I own a nice pedalboard with this along with a Boss DD-7, MXR Phase 90, EHX Little Big Muff, ISP Decimator, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss TU-2 pedal for right now. Yes I have an MG right now, but I plan on purchasing a JCM 900 combo in the near future, so I'm not a dummy, I know my stuff to a degree. I previously owned a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, and was somewhat dissapointed in it. It does have more control over the sound than the Small Clone, but it just plain doesn't sound as good to me. I had it for about 4-5 months before my friend Who also plays guitar purchased a used Small Clone and showed it to me. I remember that day very vividly. We were playing through a small Peavey Rage 158, a practice amp that is probably better than the MG, but not by a whole lot. I just really remember clicking it on and having it sound really quite awesome, just being completely blown away. The next week I got the Small Clone, and turned around and sold my CH-1. Never looked back since. I would most likely buy this pedal again if stolen or lost. The only thing holding me back would be the big Polychorus pedal that EHX also makes, which looks quite intriguing. I like EHX's taste in chorus, so if the Polychorus was really just a big version of the Small Clone with more features than I might be inclined to buy that. But at this point the Small Clone is a very solid choice. The only thing I wish that it would have would be a 3 position Switch for the depth knob, with a high intense, normal intense, and low intensity settings instead of just the usual two. Overall, if you want a nice simple, versatile, chorus pedal for cheap than look into this pedal.

I can depend on this thing enormously, possibly my most durable pedal. I would gig a lot with this thing without a backup.

This thing is an incredible little chorus pedal for the incredible price of 84 u.s. dollars new. I didn't receive a manual with mine since I bought it used, but there really is a need for one with the simple options of a depth Switch and rate knob is very easy to use right out of the box. Mine is all stock used. Overall I can't see how you can't use this thing.