Small Stone Phase Shifter review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Small Stone Phase Shifter

Purchased from: Denmark Street

I'm using this pedal in league with my ProCo Turbo Rat, Rickenbacker 360 and putting it through my Line 6 Flexitone III. I've found that when using distortion, it's more favourable to turn off colour (which merely adds a bassy tone to the sweeping effect), as it sounds more natural and subtle; it doesn't affect the other effects at all. It doesn't affect the noise levels at all, and sends a clear, crisp effect to the amp. When not using distortion, turn on the COLOUR setting for that visible, bassy and full sweeping effect. The tone of this pedal is great, and it's clear to see why they didn't include all the confusing moddelling abilities that Boss include. Basically, this pedal beats the Boss one hands down, both in quality and in simplicity. Also to add, that if you're looking for the classic Jonny Greenwood phaser effect (i.e. in Paranoid Android), this is the pedal he uses.

For the style of music I play, Indie/Alt Rock, this pedal is perfect in every shape and form. It provides the subtle effect when Colour is off, and the full blown bassy effect when i switch Colour on. With all of my guitars - ranging from a Fender Strat to the Rickenbacker, a Alvarez acoustic to a Takamine - it sounds perfect. It also came with a free pack of Electro Harmonix strings, which was nice! If I lost this pedal, I'd cry like a year old baby with a soiled diaper, and sulk and sulk until I could get my hands on another one. I love it's simplicity, the quality of the sound, and the fact that it's just legendary and immortal. It's definately a pivotal part of my setup, and I'll be using it without doubt with my band.

So far nothing has gone wrong, the pedal can be battery powered as well as powered via a power supply lead. The battery hasn't worn out yet and I've been using it pretty much every day for about 2 months. The only thing is, it dents quite easily, and although i'm sure it wouldn't break if I dropped it, I'm very, very careful with it. It's also quite bulky, it's big, but not heavy.

The Small Stone is probably the most simplistic pedal you'll ever use. All it has is a colour on/off switch and the rate knob in the middle of the pedal, which obviously controls the sweep rate of the Phaser effect. This is an updated version of the Original Small Stone, but as far as I know, they only added in the colour switch.