Small Stone Phase Shifter review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Small Stone Phase Shifter

Purchased from: ebay

I'm using my Squier Strat with this, not an awesome guitar but it works fine. Anyway, I have a Crate XT120R combo amp with it. This thing sounds great through it, on a clean setting and also with distortion. When you turn the rate up all the way, you get a pretty cool effect. The pedal is sort of noisy, you probably couldn't hear it very clearly in a gig, but if you listen closely there is that whooshing sound in the background even when you arent playing, but it really isn't bad. The only problem with the pedal is the fact that it drops the volume significantly, which would be pretty annoying in a gig, but not hard to deal with.

I play everything from classic rock to metal, and this pedal sounds good with both. It is a very solid pedal and can create many different sounds depending on what other effects you use it with, like distortion or reverb. I got a good deal on this pedal, which is why I bought it, but it isn't worth regular price for the amount of controls on it, like regen or depth as is found on many other phaser pedals. But if you don't care about that and just want a good sounding, solid phaser pedal, then this is for you.

It comes in a nice metal case, and I would have no problem using it without a backup.

This pedal sounds great no matter how you use it. The controls are simple so you don't have a hard time finding a good sound with it. If you are using this with distortion, it sounds better with the color switch off. The manual really doesn't have much to say, since the pedal is so easy to use.

HeartInACage
    Nope, thats not true. The volume drop off signifies that the power is low, and that it either needs a change of batteries or a different source of power.
    Y0UNGBL00D
    actually, the small stone will have the volume drop 100% of the time, even with an adapter. but i find it's not as bad as to say its unusable. if it really gets to you that much, throw a boost pedal after it or mod it (changing of two resistors. google it for schematics, not too difficult. good first pedals mod). i actually just ordered a MXR boost, so we'll see how that goes, but personally, the volume drop is something i learned to live with. and it's not so bad on hi gain settings. drops more in clean channel. also, experiment with effect chain placement. but all in all, best sounding phaser ever. and for info, mine's the russian black box one.
    DazzaSchwings
    Yeah, I know what ToBeAGooner means. I don't have a Small Stone (although I want one), but I do have a Big Muff Pi. I think it may be a fault that sometimes occurs in the manufacturing of the Electro-Harmonix pedals. I just took mine back to where I got it from and asked if they could fix it. As long as you have the warranty it should be sweet.
    DazzaSchwings
    Yeah, I know what ToBeAGooner means. I don't have a Small Stone (although I want one), but I do have a Big Muff Pi and the volume drop-off happened with that, something you don't really want from your distortion unit. I think it may be a fault that sometimes occurs in the manufacturing of the Electro-Harmonix pedals. I just took mine back to where I got it from and asked if they could fix it. As long as you have the warranty it should be sweet.
    masterofeedback
    my god you wouldn't belive how much i hated this pedal, had to be the boss ph-3 and even it it only made one sound it would sound better than this one.
    AaronR2
    This is way Better than a phase 90. haha. I have the vintage Smallstone, the green one. It has awesome tone, the only problem is there is no AC input power jack, so you have to buy 9V batteries every other weekend. other than that its great.
    Nitroglycerin17
    AaronR2 :the only problem is there is no AC input power jack, so you have to buy 9V batteries every other weekend. other than that its great
    just get an AC/DC adapter