Soul Food review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Soul Food

Price paid: C$ 60

Purchased from: Kijiji

I had watched a few demos before I picked it up, and when I first pulled it out of the box I turned the knobs to around the points I'd seen and was already satisfied. I have messed around, and its super easy to get the sound you want, but I went back to my original settings, because thats where my ears like it best. Three simple knobs - volume, drive, and treble - doesn't get much simpler than that. All you need is a standard power supply or a battery, and you'll have the sound you want in minutes.

The level of gain on this pedal suits my playing style pretty well - mostly a variety of rock and blues. It seems to play nice with my BD-2 and my boost as well. However, the first time I turn it on after it gets power, a strong pop comes through my amp, but nothing when I turn it off and back on. Could be an issue with this singular pedal, and its nothing major, just cant turn it on for the first time mid-song. I typically keep the gain between 9-12 o'clock - 9 for boost, 12 for light dirt. Tone control is in the middle, where I've been happiest with it, but it sometimes comes across a bit tinny. Been looking into the JHS mod that adds a separate bass control which seems to beef up the sound more to my liking.

The enclosure itself seems pretty solid, but the small plastic knobs might not take a beating, if you're that kind of player. I've heard the finish comes off easily, but I haven't seen that at all on mine, nor do I care to be honest - beat up gear looks bada-s anyway! The foot switch is a bit stiffer than others I'm used to, but I don't see any reason to consider that a fault. I would gig it without a backup, and I feel to make it actually give out, you'd have to be a bit of a ruthless stomper.

Overall, I enjoy the pedal on my board. I find it gives me a tone I can't get with any combination of OD/boost/amp gain settings. If I really want to too, I can get a ripping metal tone when I turn it and everything else on, though I'm not personally a fan of playing that style. If it were stolen, I'd probably get another one at some point, but I wouldn't be in any rush. There are so many different OD's out there, so I would likely play the field a bit. With that said, it is on the cheaper side of OD pedals, so I likely would get another at some point.