Stereo Polychorus review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Stereo Polychorus

Purchased from: East Coast Music Mall

I usually use this with my custom made Strat copy through a Marshall 100HDFX or Fender Super 60. There is a huge array of sounds you can get out of this, from a sweeping flanger, to a Small Clone like chorus, and even engine noises and other worldly sounds. One of my favourite features is the feedback knob which also controls how much the effect itself drowns out the signal from the guitar and I've used the pedal itself as an intrument. The filter matrix feature really brings out the lower end of distortion pedals while the flanger is great whether clean or distorted. The double tracking is basically an echo feature without a long delay. I bought this pedal because I've used EH products in the past and because Kurt Cobain used it on his more experimental tracks such as Radio Friendly Unit Shifter and Scentless Apprentice. If you do however come across his settings, they aren't exact because the pedal has changed since then, mainly in the placement of the knobs.

I play grunge, punk, and experimental hard rock and this covers the bases; it's also great for metal soloing or rhythm. I've noticed that this pedal works best with distortion pedals with a lot of low end such as a Big Muff or Pro Co Rat, but it's not as good with Overdrive. If this were stolen I would be pissed because of the large price tag. I absolutely love the versatility of the pedal but this makes it a little more difficult to figure out at first. This pedal is a much better choice than buying a flanger and chorus in seperate pedals.

Like all EH pedals, this was made survive a rough stage life. It comes in a durable steel case with LED's and large black knobs. The paint on the body is fairly scratch resistant, but like many EH pedals I've used, the paint on the knobs comes off fairly easily, but his can be fixed with either nail polish or white out. The one main drawback I find to this pedal is that is doesn't use a battery and must be plugged in, but if you have a pedal board, it's easier to use. I would use this without a backup, but I usually use a Small Clone with it to layer chorus effects.

I've owned several EH pedals over the past years and one thing I always appreciated was the ease of use, the polychorus however is a different story. I bought this pedal and began experimenting with it right away. The pedal did not come with a manual and is the one EH product that I believe should have. But once you figure out all the knobs and get your favourite settings, than the hours spent figuring this out is well worth it.

Jeffero28
    noisewall11
    Jeffero28 wrote: I ordered an Electro-Harmonix pedal bag for $35 bucks from a very popular(but unnamed) instrument vendor and they sent me a Poly-chorus by mistake. Of course this pedal is worth over 200 bucks so I am keeping it! I would never really think to spend that kind of cheese on a pedal like this...then I plugged it in and wow...this is my favorite toy. If I somehow lose this or it got stolen I might just have to order another one.
    now that's F***** lucky!!!!
    Nirvanafanjonny
    how has the placement of the knobs changed since Kurt used one as i have a picture of his settings in anticipation of buying one
    Nirvanafan81
    the setup of the knobs on his polychorus were,clockwise,feedback-rate-width-tune.the more common one is,clockwise,width-rate-tune-feedback.the selection knob stays the same.Electro Harmonix has changed the finish to an ugly green,made it smaller,and changed the knob setup.