Stereo Pulsar review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Stereo Pulsar

Purchased from: Guitar Gear MX

By now, I go from Epiphone Les Paul Standard -> Symetrix 501S Compressor/Limiter -> Cry Baby GCB95 -> BOSS DS-1 -> Boss SD-1 -> ProCo Rat 2 -> Big Muff Pi -> Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar > to the clean tone of the beginner's Behringer GMX110 (60 watts), and into the send/return loop it's plugged a TC Electronic Flashback delay. If you're the kind of person who likes cover your favorite songs, maybe you'll find that the EHX Pulsar requires soft tweaking to set the rate on time beside any song you want to play, cause it will respond at minimum movement of the knob. This is a pedal that goes from the classic vibrating sound of a tremolo, in different kind of shapes and speeds, to more experimental sounds, cause it can take your sound near to the begin of a Ring Modulator alike sound, shifting in some way the pitch of the wave. Compared with another "normal" tremolo pedal, this one will reach chopped styles that can give an extra to your sound. When I found this range of response on the Pulsar I was very satisfied cause that was exactly what I was looking for, and point extra for the price. With this pedal I can perfectly cover songs like R.E.M.'s "Crush With Eye Liner", The The's "December Sunlight", Dandy Warhol's "We Used To Be Friends", Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", Radiohead's "Planet Telex", The Jesus And Mary Chain's "Snakedriver". The not true bypass switch don't affect the tone of my Les Paul when the pedal is off (so far so good) and don't make any tick sound when on or off. It works very good AFTER all my distortion and Overdrive pedals. Just the Big Muff gets and extra booster when the Stereo Pulsar is activated (don't know exactly why). The Pulsar offers a stereo output. By now, I haven't used it but I guess it will be useful for me when I decide to update my amp for another better and combine with the current one.

Normally I'm into Classic rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin) 60's Garage rock, Alternative rock, Grunge, Shoegaze, Dream Pop and Noise Pop playing styles. The Stereo Pulsar fits perfect with all of them. When I went to the guitar store I arrived looking for a Garage Tone Tremolo. It's sound was very weak, I felt disappointed of it and ask the guy for something capable to do it like a "classic" tremolo and take it little far away too, and most important thing: same price. He came back with the EHX Stereo Pulsar. The thing change at the first riff, so it went with me back to home. If it goes away (in anyway) I would like to get a MXR Tremolo, just for the Fame and the design of the box (obviously the sound too). It isn't cheap as Stereo Pulsar, but it would be a good/better choice.

It's enclosure is resistant BUT the wave switch selector. Is a small kind piece, fragile, but the worst thing: is right in front and closer (1 inch distance) of the 3PDT switch, so if you are in the middle of an euphoric performance and stomp it with out careful, you can be sure that at the end of the show the switch selector will be there no more. This is the only bad thing to those who need a faster or heavier stomping without watch exactly where the shoe goes to. So, if you find that you just use one kind of wave all the time (square or triangle), make sure that you break the switch in the right position, or maybe think in a backup. In situations like studio or nice and easy jamming there's no prob.

If you had an approach before to the tremolos sounds, this pedal will be so easy to use, even when it's knobs will react at a minimum tweak. That is a good point for me, cause it's 'sensibility' offers a wide range to get different kind of speeds and sharp of the wave of the guitar. This pedal includes three knobs to interact with the depth, shape and rate of the sound. It also can be combined with a switch that allows you to select the kind of wave (triangle or square). If you are looking just for the classic tremolo sounds, this pedal will be one step ahead, and it is when the thing seems strange for the people who never touched a tremolo pedal before.

karpis
    it has all the regular sounds and if you want to create some strange sound/noise landscapes this is the one to get.