Stereo Pulsar review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Stereo Pulsar

Purchased from: Andertons

This pedal is really simple to get a good sound out of if you read the manual, I don't really understand why people are complaining that this pedal is complicated. The manual is straight forward to understand as there are only 3 knobs and a wave form switch. Rate has a good range, so has depth. Duty cycle is fairly self explanatory (I tend to keep it central) I find it most useful when using the triangle wave to adjust the rise and fall although saying this I generally find my self sticking to the square wave unless I want the effect to be very subtle.

I use this pedal for a range of different styles and its very versatile. It is capable of going from a subtle, too quiet to hear, vibe to a choppy extreme "helicopter" square wave. I play ambient and lo-fi noise rock, this pedal can serve as an excellent way to add interest to a drone loop or to completely change the timbre of my guitar sound. This pedal works excellently with anything from sparkling clean sounds to extreme gain (I use both!). If you have a noisy pedal before the tremolo you might hear some 'motor' sounds but such is the case with amplitude modulation - it will modulate the amplitude of any signal! But I have a very quiet set up so there's no issue. Past two o'clock on the depth control the oscillator starts to do strange things, but this is a deliberate thing and can give some interestingly musical sounds. The rate control goes from very slow (0.1Hz) up to something like 30-40Hz which is getting into ring modulator territory. The two wave forms and duty cycle control offer a really wide range of different sounds. The stereo tremolo sounds insane! I seriously recommend getting two amps involved!

These EHX pedals (as usual) are built like a tank. I've used this for many gigs over 2-3 years and I've never had a single issue with the build quality, the switch is noiseness, the pots are quiet and have the perfect amount of "twist." The finish has not received a scratch, partly due to a resistant finish and partly due to being a fairly careful pedal owner! The input and output jacks are attached tightly and I've not had an issue with it, I can and have depended solely on this pedal for a while now!

This pedal is extremely versatile and has been an excellent addition to my sonic palette (I'm sorry for using that phrase). I run this along with several distortions, a Small Clone, a Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai and a Hall Of Fame Reverb. I love the simplicity of this pedal and the range of sounds I can achieve. What I'd love is for it to feature tap tempo, this would make this an extremely versatile pedal, but tap tempo is a fairly rare feature on tremolos so I won't complain too much! I compared this with the Boss tremolo and this one just seemed to sounded nicer, the Boss felt sterile while the Pulsar has a bit more character (I'm sorry again!). I'd buy one again if I lost this.

dave.coleman.54
    Just got one a couple weeks ago. If it's versatility you're after, look no further (I always like versatility personally). It's true though that it can be a bit finnicky trying to get the exact effect you're after, but it's worth the effort and you'll probably end up discovering some cool new sounds as well!