Vintage Modified Superdelay Review

4,231
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Superdelay Reviewed by: Pick53766, on august 20, 2010

Purchased from: www.proguitarshop.com

Ease of Use: This is a complex unit. Three footswitches, five rotary controls, four mini switches and one button combined with 7 LEDs easily outnumber all the other controls on your pedal board altogether. It can do a lot so the complexity of control is well justified. There is an excellent manual to it, too. On the other hand, the layout and design is somewhat logical so you learn the unit quickly. Moreover, you do not have to fiddle extensively with it to sound good. Everything sounds good here, there is not a bad sound in this box. In my opinion the main mode of operation is using preset memory - you prepare what you like and just Switch to it afterwards. Here comes some point deduction, with a USD 450 unit we could really get a display with a preset number and an up/down switch instead of having to cycle through all the presets indicated by illuminated LEDs. // 8

Sound: Sound is what sold the unit to me. It surely is the best sounding delay I have ever heard, including EHX Memory Man or MXR Carbon Copy not mentioning BOSS. I use it in an effect loop of my AMT SS tube preamp for both clean and distorted channel for slap back in soloing as well as for adding space to rhythm playing or for various strong delay effects (see Run Like Hell). It can go from really subtle echoing to all kinds of crazy effects. It is indeed very quiet. It excells in tiny changes to the echoing sound where it can go from pristine digital echo down to worn out old skippy tape. Onboard modulation and hi/lo pass filters add to the range of colours this padal can produce. The tape echo is the highlight of this effect. I cannot think of any delay needs this could not satisfy. It particularly shines on crazy diamonds, though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a high end effect, well built, looks very reliable. I would use it without a backup as far as quality goes, having a simple three knob echo with you may save you a lot of trouble in case this complex thing goes crazy due to a user error - like you delete your patch by accident or so. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the ultimate delay machine. I bought it so that I do not have to worry about any delay anymore. I am a beginner but I like having a good sounding setup, especially for any Pink Floydish experiments, and this works like a charm. Its complexity and sound quality makes it more a studio than live equipment. If I were to gig extensively, I would, probably, get me something simple. This has all you need - tap tempo, sub divisions, presets, Vintage sounds, pristine sounds, space sounds, echoplex sounds, modulation, filters, epression pedal input. This is the modified version made for PGS, the tape mode has been tweaked a bit, otherwise it is the same thing. My favourite feature/sound is a mid worn out tape with a high pass filter. On the other hand I find the looper ability a bit useless but that may be because I do own a looper so I do not really need it. The only drawback is the price tag. It is worth it but still it may be too expensive for many players. If I had to get me a new delay I would go for this one again. I might consider getting something simpler if it had the same sound quality. I am yet to see such a device. // 9

Comments