6185 Wah review by Ernie Ball

Ernie Ball: 6185 Wah

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann

I'm using it with a ESP Horizon, a Gibson Flying V, and a Fender Celtic, straight into a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50. It's very quiet, until you make it scream! Very wide frequency range: the total pedal angle is superior compared to other wahs, so you can get a very wide range of sounds out of it. Sounds great on distorted and clen channels.

I've been playing hard rock and metal for over ten years. I used to have a Vox wah, the 847 model (I guess), and that pedal was a pain in the a..! The bypass wasn't bypassing correctly, so I had the Switch changed, then after a few years, it was cracking and humming, because the potentiometer was used... AAARF! This new Ernie Ball 6185 Wah is great because it is the exact opposite to the Vox. Reliable, very BIG sounding, and it looks nice. Also there are blue LEDs on the sides when you activate it, nice feature when you're on stage and you don't here yourself well, at least you can see what you're doing! Perfect score for this one, and I mean it, great piece of gear!

This is heavy duty. Good looking, very well factured, and reliable. Powered on a 9Volts battery or mains. No backup needed on stage, unless your batteries are down. Your foot won't slip, as it's covered with the same grip you'll find on skateboards! You can even tweak the Switch sensivity for a harder or softer pressing on the pedal to activate it. Cool feature if you're a pedal destroyer!

Plug jack in, then plug jack out, as long as you have a guitar and an amp, it'll sound great! I didn't read the manual at first, as it's ridiculously easy to use... But, you know, you get a new pedal, and you want to know every thing about it, even the electronic diagram you're not able to read, but you read it! Well this manual tells you this pedal has a 12 angle, which is wider than the usual 8 or 10 you'll find on the crybabies or Vox stock wahs.

pop_o
    NHECOS wrote: There's no Wha like VOX.
    You're right... It's not like Vox, it's more modern and accurate, choice is yours... Moreover it's reliable, Vox are not (at least the one I owned). But going to forums tought me that I wasn't the only one.
    jimmy-moto
    I have one of these... the only thing I don't like about it is the switch. It's difficult to activate; requires too much force to allow for an easy transition during a performance. But it does sound great.
    Iceman10129
    I have noticed that they keep making wahs harder and harder to switch on and off...You can always shave a little off the rubber stoppers most the time.