6185 Wah review by Ernie Ball

Ernie Ball: 6185 Wah

Purchased from: eBay

As for sound, I really can't say anything spectacular because it sounds pretty much like any other wah. I experimented with this pedal and three of my guitars, which are an Ibanez ART100, a Washburn hollow body, and a GRX20Z. My FX are pretty straightforward with a Morley optical volume, a DS-1, a home brew stutter pedal, and an RC-2 looper. My main rig is a Behringer LX-1200H head with the matching 4x12 cabinet. This pedal takes mild distortion pretty well, but I think at very high gain the effect becomes less noticeable. All three of the guitars that I used sounded very good with this Wah until I cranked up the drive. However, that's really not an issue for me because I rarely use such high distortion.

Overall this is a great Wah pedal. It's built well to withstand some punishment and sounds pretty dang good. I play country music and don't use a Wah often, but occasionally its a nice change. The I/O jacks are on the front (toe) end and that is really nice. Also, the green LEDs are a nice touch because they are visible on a dark stage. I started playing in front of people when I was ten years old, and over the last 30 years of playing I have tried all sorts of equipment, including a few Wah pedals. I have tried everything from an El Cheapo to the more expensive signature models. This Wah fits my purpose well and at $10 brand-new in the box from eBay, it was a bargain. If it was stolen I would hunt down the offender and strangle him with his own intestines. Ok maybe not, but I'd be pretty pissed. If you find this Wah cheap, give it a shot. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I use it regularly for shows and I don't worry about having a backup. With any other component I don't leave home without a backup, but I have a pretty good idea that this thing will never die. It's built like a tank and I Imagine that it would take a pretty severe beating before laying down. I have never had to use support, so I don't know anything about that. I would depend on it just because it is built heavy. If I didn't have a Wah it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I do like having it on my board. I don't intentionally abuse my equipment but it does take some knocks while its on my board. It seems sturdy enough and heavier than a Crybaby.

This unit is just as easy to set up as any other wah, slap a battery in it and plug it in and it works. I do love the smooth action of this pedal and that is probably due to the Teflon components. I took it out of the box and since I already had knowledge of these types of things I didn't need to look at the manual. Also since it was going on my pedal board a battery wasn't necessary. Plugged it in and got pretty much the sound I expected. As far as ease of use it is pretty much like any other Wah and pretty self-explanatory to anyone with pedal experience. No pots, no adjustments, just plug it in and go.

zizibol
    Excellent wah, the future of wahs built like a small strong tank from material- aluminium that is used also by airplane manufactures, and it will work almost forever, cray baby is fanny pedal i do respect the history of cray baby and vox and it is a new century with new solutions and qualities, Dunlop have extremely huge marketing team for pedals and many thinks that they will bay the same pedal as their heroes have ( Slash, DD, Hendrix etc.) but that is not truth they have pedals made just for them and signature model is nothing else than simple marketing trick and that star will get money for those signing such product. ERNIE BALL is very very very good for my 23+years of pro playing the best serial pedal wah i ever tried out among 10s, EB is perfect for HM, Rock, Funk and Blues.