6185 Wah Review

reviews (2) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
6185 Wah Reviewed by: pop_o, on january 17, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: Plug jack in, then plug jack out, as long as you have a guitar and an amp, it'll sound great! I didn't read the manual at first, as it's ridiculously easy to use... But, you know, you get a new pedal, and you want to know every thing about it, even the electronic diagram you're not able to read, but you read it! Well this manual tells you this pedal has a 12 angle, which is wider than the usual 8 or 10 you'll find on the crybabies or Vox stock wahs. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a ESP Horizon, a Gibson Flying V, and a Fender Celtic, straight into a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50. It's very quiet, until you make it scream! Very wide frequency range: the total pedal angle is superior compared to other wahs, so you can get a very wide range of sounds out of it. Sounds great on distorted and clen channels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is heavy duty. Good looking, very well factured, and reliable. Powered on a 9Volts battery or mains. No backup needed on stage, unless your batteries are down. Your foot won't slip, as it's covered with the same grip you'll find on skateboards! You can even tweak the Switch sensivity for a harder or softer pressing on the pedal to activate it. Cool feature if you're a pedal destroyer! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing hard rock and metal for over ten years. I used to have a Vox wah, the 847 model (I guess), and that pedal was a pain in the a..! The bypass wasn't bypassing correctly, so I had the Switch changed, then after a few years, it was cracking and humming, because the potentiometer was used... AAARF! This new Ernie Ball 6185 Wah is great because it is the exact opposite to the Vox. Reliable, very BIG sounding, and it looks nice. Also there are blue LEDs on the sides when you activate it, nice feature when you're on stage and you don't here yourself well, at least you can see what you're doing! Perfect score for this one, and I mean it, great piece of gear! // 10

6185 Wah Reviewed by: kd8dqk, on march 15, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This unit is just as easy to set up as any other wah, slap a battery in it and plug it in and it works. I do love the smooth action of this pedal and that is probably due to the Teflon components. I took it out of the box and since I already had knowledge of these types of things I didn't need to look at the manual. Also since it was going on my pedal board a battery wasn't necessary. Plugged it in and got pretty much the sound I expected. As far as ease of use it is pretty much like any other Wah and pretty self-explanatory to anyone with pedal experience. No pots, no adjustments, just plug it in and go. // 10

Sound: As for sound, I really can't say anything spectacular because it sounds pretty much like any other wah. I experimented with this pedal and three of my guitars, which are an Ibanez ART100, a Washburn hollow body, and a GRX20Z. My FX are pretty straightforward with a Morley optical volume, a DS-1, a home brew stutter pedal, and an RC-2 looper. My main rig is a Behringer LX-1200H head with the matching 4x12 cabinet. This pedal takes mild distortion pretty well, but I think at very high gain the effect becomes less noticeable. All three of the guitars that I used sounded very good with this Wah until I cranked up the drive. However, that's really not an issue for me because I rarely use such high distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use it regularly for shows and I don't worry about having a backup. With any other component I don't leave home without a backup, but I have a pretty good idea that this thing will never die. It's built like a tank and I Imagine that it would take a pretty severe beating before laying down. I have never had to use support, so I don't know anything about that. I would depend on it just because it is built heavy. If I didn't have a Wah it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I do like having it on my board. I don't intentionally abuse my equipment but it does take some knocks while its on my board. It seems sturdy enough and heavier than a Crybaby. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great Wah pedal. It's built well to withstand some punishment and sounds pretty dang good. I play country music and don't use a Wah often, but occasionally its a nice change. The I/O jacks are on the front (toe) end and that is really nice. Also, the green LEDs are a nice touch because they are visible on a dark stage. I started playing in front of people when I was ten years old, and over the last 30 years of playing I have tried all sorts of equipment, including a few Wah pedals. I have tried everything from an El Cheapo to the more expensive signature models. This Wah fits my purpose well and at $10 brand-new in the box from eBay, it was a bargain. If it was stolen I would hunt down the offender and strangle him with his own intestines. Ok maybe not, but I'd be pretty pissed. If you find this Wah cheap, give it a shot. Video from YouTube:

// 9