Micro Comp review by Fender

Fender: Micro Comp

Price paid: € 55

Purchased from: Knight Music

The Fender Micro Comp is a small footprint compressor. With 3 simple controls and a bypass switch, it is easy to achieve great tones. The EQ and Volume knobs are a bit small. When setting a compressor as you increase the compression you would have to compensate with make-up gain, in other words add volume back. This pedal feels like a limiter, as you increase compression, the perceived volume is increased. The EQ control allows to shift the tone of your setup making this pedal ideal as lead boost.

This pedal sounds good and considering the cheap price I paid for it, it is a steal. The pedal is quite a transparent compressor especially when I compare it to my MXR Dynacomp. The pedal works well with a bass guitar setup. I find the best use of this pedal as a boost for a crunch amp. The Fender Micro Comp works best when I use it into my Marshall DSL40C with a G12M-65 Creamback Speaker. Into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I prefer the MXR dynacomp.

I tend to set my Marshall on the classic gain channel with the crunch button engaged and gain at 4. With my HSS American Standard Strat, the distortion is audible with the humbucker but not audible when playing the single coil pickups. When I go straight into the amp, the harmonic content is pronounced with the compressor and makes the guitar sound full. The transparent compression makes it sound it is more distorted than it actually is resulting in a tighter low end when using an overdrive pedal.

Mine works and never failed, but the small footprint and the low price make me think about the quality of the components that were put into the pedal. Also, since it is quite small, the components have less space to dissipate heat that is built up in the circuit during operation. I have mine for a year now and it is always on my small pedalboard that I take around for small performances. This tiny compressor packs a lot of tone in the small box and I believe that if it is taken care of, it would last long.

I think that this pedal is a great small compressor. The compressor is reasonably priced and sounds good. I have mine for over a year now without any issues. This pedal suits styles from funk to rock. I found that it works also with bass guitars. The Fender Micro Comp works as a transparent compressor and a transparent boost. I have compared it to a Dynacomp and it is different. The Dynacomp is more of an effect while the Fender Micro Comp is more of a tool that does not colour much the signal.