Phaser Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/19/2010 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fender: Phaser
You can get a lot of different sounds from it: from real Vintage to modern rock/metal.
 Ease of Use: 7
 9.4
 8.8
 1,437
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Phaser Reviewed by: marianoarnaiz, on july 19, 2010

Purchased from: Allegro

Ease of Use: Well, it's as easy as any 3 knob pedal (Rate, Intensity, Frequency)... the HUGE RATE! Rotary knob on top helps a lot to change the speed. It took me at least one hour to get the right sounds. A nice touch is that you can even use it like a expression phaser if you practice a bit. The only problem is actually that the the Intensity and Frequency knobs have so much rate that you can loose the effect and get slow reverb-ish phase, but I guess that's because the pedal is built to be use in any instrument. // 7

Sound: You can get a wide range of phasers here, from almost-not-there phaser to a flanging-phaser, all is there. If you run all the Intensity knob you will find jazz, fusion, rock and metal tones... I found very quick a "Brand new start - Alter Bridge" sound' LOVE IT. It can get a bit noisy particularly if you push the frequency knob to the highs but I can live with it and a bit edgy if you push the Frequency one to the top (just roll down a bit and problem solved). When is off is true bypass // 9

Reliability & Durability: Beer spilled on it, it felt from the stage once, kick by the lead singer of my band many times, step on the switch (I'm a fat guy)... it have taken a lot of S**T ...and still works. I have used it life many times always works. It's well built and is not a heavy as a cry baby, I like that. // 10

Overall Impression: You can get a lot of different sounds from it (from real Vintage to modern rock/metal) and it's much more suitable for cleans than my old MXR phaser 90. It takes distortion very nicely but it can get a bit noisy and edgy on the wrong settings (but I have found that some people like this edgy sound). It's well built and covers my phasers needs. // 9

Comments