FD2 Mosfet review by Fulltone

Fulltone: FD2 Mosfet

I'm running a Jimmie Vaughan Strat with a quarter pounder in the bridge to the FD2 to my blues jr. The pedal is fairly quiet, but being a boost it's gonna amplify any noise that's already there. This pedal can do anything from a huge clean boost in the comp cut mode to a great crunch sound, to VH levels of gain. In comp cut mode this pedal is basically a clean boost. Even with the Overdrive up it's really not adding much gain besides what you're getting from slamming the front end of the amp. If you use an 18v adapter you'll have even more headroom to push the amp with. In FM mode the pedal is still pretty transparent, but there's a lot more gain on tap. When I'm playing quietly I use this mode since it doesn't add middle range and allows the bass and treble to come through nicely. With the Overdrive set to about halfway I get a nice classic rock crunch in the bridge position and nice singing lead tone in the bridge position. The Vintage mode is basically the same, but it adds a lot of mids, something that's very desirable when playing at higher volumes. If I use this mode at lower volumes it makes things sound kind of mushy. The boost mode isn't a volume boost so much as a gain boost. At lower settings it's a bit hard to tell it's on, but with it turned up past halfway and the Overdrive set fairly high you can definitely get up to some hard rock tones with this thing. The mosefet mode just adds some gain and some bottom end. Overall it's not a huge difference, but I prefer to have the mosfet on at all time.

I've playing for 3yrs or so and play mainly classic rock and blues and this pedal suits me perfectly. Like I said, I own jimmie vaughan strat and a blues jr. I also own a GGG TS808 and an LPB1 that now get no use since the purchase of my FD2. I love everything about this pedal and there's really nothing that I could add to it to make it better. I compared this to every boost I could try and some that I own and it wins hands down. If you ever have a chance to try this pedal be sure that you do, it's the perfect companion to a clean amp or as a very transparent boost to your gain channel.

This this is tank. The case is extremely sturdy, the jacks seem very strong and the switches feel good too. I'd definitely gig without a backup. My only experience with Fulltone was the sales department, but they replied very quickly so I'd expect the same service from tech support.

It's very simple pedal to use, Volume, Tone, and Overdrive are the control on the main channel, the Boost channel is controlled by the boost knob. The comp-cut, FM, and Vintage modes are well explained in the manual, as well as the mosfet vs standard modes. I'll give it a 9 since the extra switches can be confusing if you don't read through the short manual first.