Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Review

manufacturer: Fulltone date: 02/25/2016 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fulltone: Full-Drive 2 Mosfet
 9.5
 20,991
reviews (5) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: Even Bigger D, on april 30, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is designed to take a clean amp and turn it into a 2 channel medium gain amp with a volume/distortion boost. There are four knobs: Overdrive (gain), volume, tone and boost. The first three do what you would expect, and alter both the default and boost sounds. The boost knob determines how much volume and gain the boost adds. There are two foot switches: on/off and boost. No surprises there. There is also a mode switch, offering three modes: 'comp cut', 'flat mids' and 'vintage'. This pedal has a lot of options for an overdrive, but it's not hard or confusing to use. // 8

Sound: My setup is a variety of guitars into a CAE 3+SE into a Rivera TBR5 (aka Hammer 320). Each mode of this pedal has a different use: 'comp cut' is a clean boost. It sounds good, but since the pedal can only be in one mode at once, and I didn't buy it as a clean boost, I never use it. I might give it a try in the studio some time. 'flat mids' is the 'FM' in the pedal's name. This mode is somewhat similar to a tubescreamer in terms of gain and texture, but lacks the mid-hump found in tubescreamers and the old Fulldrive 1 pedal. This mode is billed as being transparent, and I guess it is in as far as any Overdrive pedal can be transparent. This is the mode I typically use. 'vintage' mode is like 'FM', but with added mids like a tubescreamer. It works great with Marshall style amps, but since I use a Fender-voiced preamp channel with this pedal I never use it. I know from experience it's very good for getting classic rock sounds out of a plexi-type amp. The boost function just gives you more of whatever mode you're set to. I never use it since I have the pedal rack mounted with a looper. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fulltone makes tough pedals - good jacks, switches and pots, solid sheet metal enclosures. I've played many gigs with this pedal, and never had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Various pedals in the Fulldrive line have been a staple on the pedalboards of Nashville and LA session players ever since they came out. I own one because it's almost expected that you have one, and it sounds good, and it's not going to die on me. I use it in the context of a three channel rig (roughly set to blackface cleans, brown sound, over the top lead) to turn the clean channel in to a medium gain sound for blues, country, and classic rock. // 9

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on december 23, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Yes the very simple layout makes it hard to screw up. The tone control is wide enough to darken a bright sound or brighten a dark tone. It simply requires one to explore the different settings including the Boost side. That side has enough boost to suit most players, it certainly does me anyway. It's extremely easy & without presets (thank God) that ease of use leads to set & forget pedal which is always a welcome quality. An analogue man TS-9 in front or behind is truly a sweet singing blues sound. // 10

Sound: Vintage rock & dance cover band, personal taste from Hendrix to Eric Johnson. It works well with Fuchs OD 30, Budda 18 & Kendrick Gig Rig. It suits gigging & woodshedding as well. IMUO this is a pedal that stays on clean boost/tone thickener especially at low volumes. It is in "comp cut" toggle position & adds a LOT of harmonics clean & even more so with pedals or amp distortion. It just has that special sauce that appeals to many players I know. It is drop dead quiet & LIVES on my pedal board. It's my favorite pedal as it stays on! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The build is as good as they come & has been ridden hard & out up wet for about 100 gigs+! It has never failed me although occasionally the output jack will act up... Probably needs some tweaking as it had been seriously stomped on. It is heavy & has a huge footprint so allow a lot of real-estate. That real-estate has become very precious with all the awesome pedals the last 10 years or so! But it has never failed me for about 6 years of use. It is my favorite pedal if you can't tell & if that doesn't rate a 10 what does? // 10

Overall Impression: Beside gigging, I enjoy playing to backing tracks. Most of them range from soft jazz to blues to Toni Iommi. I am a Black Sabbath freak as I was a kid when "Paranoid" came out. This pedal is great for cascading gain stages by slamming an OCD with clean Fulldrive! It just adds that special harmonic overtones sauce like none of my other pedals do. (12 OD pedals). The Fuchs is the opposite of the Fender-esque' Kendrick but all guitars, from 53 tele my dad bought new to PRS HB2 they all sound like they should. I will never take this clean magic' pedal off the board & would replace quickly. // 10

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: trashedlostfdup, on october 22, 2015

Purchased from: reverb dot com

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use, my main gripe with it is that the different selections on the "comp cut, FM, and vintage" modes can have a different volume. The Comp-Cut is the biggest offender. As far as getting a good tone out of it, I don't think you could get a bad tone out of it if you have common sense. The only thing that I think it could confuse somebody is if they don't know what the comp-cut, FM, and vintage are. You don't need anything technical, but check the manual and you will know what they do. // 9

Sound: This is another great product from Fulltone added to my pedalboard. The Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet is a very simple pedal with a lot of different options and great sound. There are three selections for the overdrive flavor, a clean boost, a flat mids boost, and also a more boosted mids tubescreamer-esque tone. You can also select mosfet or normal on another switch. The Fulldrive 2 has a broad voicing, so it works on everything from my Teles to Les Pauls. As far as gain levels, it will get you to a crunch, then you turn the boost on and it liquefies a bit more. it would work well with a clean amp to have the pedal acting as an OD, and the boost for leads. I sometimes do that as an alternative texture with my Rockerverb. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned several Fulltone products in the last years, and one thing that was a common thread in all of them was their bulletproof construction. Solid switches, pots, closure, etc. I have never had to do work on anything Fulltone, I have had to touch up and repair a few other pedals in the past. I would feel fine using it without a backup, however I run multiple OD's so another would pick up the slack. there is no reason why it should fail and wouldn't worry about that. The finish on the pedal and the screen printing are clear and not going anywhere. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this for bluesy leads on Orange Dual Terror or Orange Rockerverb. It works quite well for the edgy breakup that can get a little more searing when the boost is engaged. With the Dual Terror, I am running the volume all the way and using the gain as a master, this pedal works wonders in that situation. I mostly use Gibsons and USA Fenders. As far as using the pedal to boost an amp, I really like it with my Mesa Trem-O-Verb. For boosting, I have had the most luck with the comp-cut mode, however if I am using as a standalone OD, I use the vintage mode. // 8

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: josiah9, on february 25, 2016

Purchased from: Craigslist

Ease of Use: My overall complaint with this pedal, is that you have to really carefully set it, to get it to sound good. This pedal can make your tone muddy and/or harsh if you don't set it correctly and dial in your amp correctly. But, most good pedals do that. It's a small complaint, because anyone who aspires to have good tone should know how to set their gear up to achieve a great sound. In the end, it's time for you to throw your "Metal Zone" pedal into the trash and buy a real, gorgeous sounding pedal, this one. // 8

Sound: When I first bought this pedal, I was going through a severe bout with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I didn't really need this pedal, but I was bored with the one that I had so I bought this one. When I got home and plugged it in, I was blown away by the sound. This pedal sounds utterly fantastic. There are two gain stages, and even though this pedal has a lot of gain, it is very transparent and it really brings out the tone of my amp. It has two gain stages, an "Overdrive", and a "Boost." There are options to adjust the tone, volume, and individual gain levels for both the "Overdrive", and the "Boost." There is also a three-way switch for adjusting the overall tone of the "Overdrive" stage. The switch has three modes: "Vintage," "Compcut," and "Flat Mids." All of the modes sound good and have noticeable strengths. The amp I use this pedal with is a Blackstar HT40 and my main guitar is a PRS SE Singlecut with a set of Seymour Duncan Hot-Rodded pickups. I play all musical styles, and whatever style I play, it produces. I'll give it a nine, because it's very good, but you have to know how to set it. (More on that farther on.) // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this pedal for over a year now and I have had no trouble with it. Even though it has been attached to one of my pedal boards since I bought it, I have brought it to rehearsals, gigs, and used it at home and had no problems with it. It is big and heavy, and I have dropped it, with no repercussions. The LED's are also very bright and sturdy. The paint job is fantastic as well. I haven't had any paint chip off of it at all. I am the second owner of this pedal, and it has seen two owners without any kind of problems whatsoever. This pedal was built in the USA, and the flawless construction shows. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a really good overdrive pedal. It can turn a clean amp into a slightly dirty Texas tone, or you can boost a high-gain amp, into even more distortion. But, here's where I see this pedal being the most useful: on my board, I have it set, so that the "Overdrive" stage acts as a clean boost, so I can switch between the clean and dirty channels on my amp without stepping on more than one button. When I want to play a lead, I step on the "boost" part of this pedal, and it pushes my tone into a creamy, beautiful tone. That is what I really, really love about this pedal. The two-stage feature is what made me buy this over a TS-808 Tube Screamer, or a Paul Cochrane Timmy. One feature of this pedal that I haven't explored is how you power it. This pedal can run on 9 or 18 volts. The guy I bought this pedal from said that it sounds even better on 18 volts, but I don't have an 18 volt power supply, so I don't know. This is a great hand-wired overdrive pedal, and if it was lost or stolen, I'd for sure buy another one. // 9

Comments