OCD V1 review by Fulltone

Fulltone: OCD V1

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm using it to push my Laney VC15-110 into slightly higher gain territory, not metal but around the hard rock area as the amp's Drive just didn't do it for me when I was playing hard rock at low volumes. This pedal is amazing, with my amps Drive on 3 and the pedals Drive at around 12 o' clock and the volume on full, my amp screams. When you have the volume and or gain on full, there is a bit of a hiss but I'm willing to put up with that because the pedal is just simply awesome. No matter what you have it set to, you can get a usable tone of of it. Even with the Drive on 0 it acts as a nice clean boost. I bought it to push my amp into slightly higher gain than my amp is capable of at low volumes such as Dream Theater, Velvet Revolver and slash's snakepit. As, I can't crank my amp when my parents are around because they complain but I also can't get a satisfying OD tone at low volumes. It does this perfectly. It's overall tone is good, amazing if you EQ your amp decently and tweak it to the sound you want.

I play classic rock/hard rock/blues and this pedal is an awesome match, it can get the the boost/perfect tone for solos when I'm playing classic rock, it is an awesome clean boost for when I play blues and I'm improvising and it can make my amp scream at low volumes when I'm playing hard rock. I've been playing for about 6 years and I use it with a Vox V847 wah pedal, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus pedal and a Laney VC15-110 valve amp. It works well with all my gear. Except, my wah doesn't handle higher gain stuff too well, but that's nothing to do with the OCD. If it were lost/stolen I wouldn't think twice about replacing it immediately as nothing compares for what I use it for. I compared it to a TS808 and a TS9 and the OCD is in a class of it's own, it just sounded better than the tube screamers for what I wanted. This pedal is perfect the way it is. I would prefer it to not hiss at higher gain but I can easily ignore that so I'm giving it a 9.

I honestly can say I can depend on this pedal. It's built like a tank, and is fairly heavy; heavier than I expected. There seems to be a guarantee of quality on anything that has the Fulltone logo on it, everything I've tried out has been built solidly with good quality parts. I feel like I could treat this pedal how I want and it wouldn't break; it could probably survive anything I throw at it (or anything I throw it at). But I wouldn't do this because it's an awesome pedal and I wouldn't want to risk breaking it. I would defiantly use this pedal at a gig without a backup as it is built solidly and anything else just wouldn't satisfy me tone wise.

The OCD is a very versatile pedal. It has volume, tone and Drive knobs and a HP/LP Switch. When you plug it in, there are many great tones available at your fingertips. It can be used with the volume up and the Drive low as a clean boost on the clean channel. Still on the clean channel, with the Drive up it can be used as a light Overdrive. On the Drive channel it's a whole different story though. Set the Drive on the OCD to full and have the amps Drive on full and you have a brutal metal tone. What I do is I set the amps Drive around 3, volume on full on the OCD and the Drive around 12 o'clock with the HP/LP Switch in the HP position and I get a nice hard rock tone. Overall, very versatile pedal capable of many genres while at the same time being very easy to use. I didn't get a manual with mine as I bought it used. But, no-one should need a manual as a chimp could get a usable tone out of it! In the ebay listing the person Who I bought it off said he thought it might be a 1st edition. After doing a bit of research it is one of the early ones; whether it's 1st or 2nd I don't know but it has a date inside which is 7/12/2005.

qotsa1998
    i think its around $150 or maybe $200. either way, its definately not cheap. Id love to have one of these as soon as i get my tube amp for X-mas.
    Pedalboard
    This seems like the perfect pedal for me. Nice range from clean sounds to a godly amount of distortion. I shall check it out. Thanks.